Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cards not being accepted

Cards not being accepted

I recently lost my debit and credit cards, so when the next month's payment was due to be taken, I got an email from Spotify saying they hadn't been able to take the payment, which is to be expected as both cards were cancelled. 

I logged on and tried to update my payment details, but it gave me the error message "Oops, seems your card or payment provider is having a bad day. Don't worry, no money has been charged. Try again or use another payment method."

I have since tried on a number of occasions with both my credit and debit cards and the same thign has happened for both. I have a Student subscription, and I read on the UniDays website that some users were experiencing problems accessing spotify with the discount, so I tried signing up for a standard subscription, but still both my cards gave the same error (this was to see if the problem was with my card or the student discount, but I had no intention of keeping the full price subscription - the only reason I had a subscription in the first place was because of the 50% discount)

I phoned the bank and they said no payments have been declined on either card, so it must be an issue at the other end. The only option I have left is to use PayPal, which would be fine except that is not an option when signing up for a Student subscription, so now I am at a bit of a loss!

I would really appreciate any help with this - I have never had any problems with Spotify in the past, and have really loved using it, so I would hate for that to change.

7 Replies

@ruthbwalton114

Check your profile to see when your premium subscription is ending.

Since you currently have an active subscription, you need to cancel your premium in your last month and revert back to 'Spotify Free' before applying for the student discount again.

Once canceled, you'll still be on Premium for the remainder of the month you've paid for. Then, after that, sign up for Premium again under the Student Discount.

What I'm suggesting you do is this:

1. Go to http://spotify.com/

2. Login to your account

3. Go to your Subscription and payment overview --> http://spotify.com/account/subscription/

4. Click UPDATE DETAILS. If it shows below 'Would you like to cancel your subscription?' click there and cancel.

5. Check the box to 'Remove', and click 'Change' button,

Note: If you have your Premium active you won't be able to remove your payment info. That's why it's important to cancel before clicking UPDATE DETAILS.

If successful, you will be able to resusbscribe to the student premium with your new payment info.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

When I go to that page, it says I am currently on Spotify Free, and I have an email saying my subscription ended on 14th April 2016, so I can't do any of what you suggested.

@ruthbwalton114

Actually you can. 🙂 Since you're Free already, you just need to delete your old card info, and resubscribe to Student Premium with your new card info.

To delete old card info:

1. Go to your Subscription and payment overview --> http://spotify.com/account/subscription/

2. Click UPDATE DETAILS.

3. Check the box to 'Remove', and click 'Change' button,

Now you just need to resubscribe to Student Premium with your new card.

osorniosSpotify Star

I'm really sorry, but I can't see any option to do that. I've attached a screenshot of what I can see when I go to that part of my account - I've looked through all the sections to try and find an option to remove old card details but I can't find anything. Thanks very much, I really appreciate your help!

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 19.05.53.png

@ruthbwalton114

Don't worry, I'm here to help.

Look for any email receipts you might have gotten for your previous subscription purchase. In it, it shows your Spotify username you used to pay:

Username/ID:        xxxxxxx

Be sure to use it to login to your account.

If it matches the one you're using now, reapply to the Student Premium here:

https://www.spotify.com/student/

The payments page will appear eventually.

osorniosSpotify Star

When I go to the Receipts section of My Account, it lists all my previous payments, so I know I'm logged in with the correct account. The link you posted is the same one I have been trying every day for over a week, as well as going through the Spotify app, and directly through my account online, and every time I get the same error.

@ruthbwalton114

Then you should contact customer support through this link:

https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support/

They'll help you out getting your payment info in.

If you get an automated email directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you.

osorniosSpotify Star

Suggested posts