Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Change language set up

Change language set up

The language set up on my account is not the proper one. Anyone who knows how to change the language?

81 Replies

Sarahsmores - It's in the 'Préférences' menu, then 'Langue'. Change it to English here, then restart your Spotify. Should then be sorted.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I'm a bit confused, because I live in Denmark, the commercials on my spotify is Danish, but the language is Dutch or something, I don't even know what language it is. You keep writing something about preferences or something, but I can't understand a word of my spotify menu. I'm using the spotify app on my MacBook, just so you know. Do you have any idea how to change the language to English or Danish. I would prefer English, but it doesn't matter 🙂

Yes, Spotify may actually be worse than Google at figuring out language choices.

To change, from your menu - in english it would be File Edit View...

Click the second one (Edit), then the one at the bottom (Preferences)

A page opens, and the third group from the top is the Language setting. Switch that to English (Danish is not available) and restart Spotify.

But the language on the web spotify.com is allways set according the IP country. I would personalize it in my acount profile, regardless of the country where I am, but this is not possible.

Yep. Long story short: Spotify does NOT allow you to change the "content" language, just the interface.

The web language changing UI is at the bottom of the page. Out of sight...to make it more difficult to locate. They also localise all the language names instead of using the names recognised by a native of the language. Again, a very poor user experience. I think Spotify has picked most of the *worst* international UI mistakes from everyone else and combined them.

On the Spotify website, there is no feature for changing the language of the website. The selector at the bottom of each page is for selecting the country. This shouldn't be changed, unless your Spotify account is actually set to a different country. There are cases where you will get the wrong information.

However, if you have a - for instance - Dutch account - but prefer to read the website in English, you could select "United Kingdom". Most of the information will be correct, but it cannot be guaranteed, as some market conditions are different.

There is a country/language called "International" which is what I have the site set to now. Presumably there all the information is correct irrespective of which specific country your account is in.

Memeweaver - This 'International' setting is exclusive to the Community, as it's a help forum for all of our users. However, we do try and stress country-specific differences where necessary.

However, any other page on the website is country specific.
-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

OK, I see that now. But it is still not helpful to users to have the main site so obstinate about being in the desired language. First by putting the language setting so low, rather than at the top of the page, and secondly by translating all the country names. An American would be looking for "United States", not "Etats-Unis" etc.

As you can see from the questions here, most people are fighting with incomprehensible language settings, not making arbitrary decisions to switch to another language.

Spotify definitely needs some UX and Internationalisation people!

Nope.

And btw I'd love to find a way to know which songs are available in which country... I had a french subscription in the past and got a lot more songs available..

But no, I tried all possible tricks and I still have german in a lot of apps....

Spotify: No, Switzerland is NOT a german-only country... even when I go on Spotify.com I get redirected to the german page... and... my browser is set to english...

>> I'd love to find a way to know which songs are available in which country

This would be a bit tricky. You can tell what availability an album or track (unique URI) has by using the Web API, but that will only tell you about a particular version of an album. There may be a number of copies - each avaioable in different territories.

In any case, licensing applies to residents of each market. Users aren't meant to be in the situation where they can choose which market they are in. So finding out which things are available where would do no more than satisfy curiosity.

>> Spotify: No, Switzerland is NOT a german-only country.

We know that. The website is available in French and German for Switzerland.

>> even when I go on Spotify.com I get redirected to the german page... and... my browser is set to english...

As it is set to English, that doesn't give the website much to go on when choosing between French and German. I don't know how the choice of default is made for Swiss visitors. However, you can switch to Switzerland (French) in the country selector. This choice should be remembered for later visits, as long as you are storing cookies.

>> I'd love to find a way to know which songs are available in which country

Just to add to this, there is a good website that can help you out here: http://spotimy.co.uk/
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Totally agree with those who want to change the language of how they interface with Spotify a la account settings etc

... if I live in England & want my language Dutch it should easy & viceversa more prevalent that live The Netherlands & do Not want to gebruikers naam they want User in English it should be easy to do so... I haven't seen a way ion this thread how to that.

It would be easy if there was country & language option

Yours frustrated

Hello,

Are you talking about the Spotify application or the website ?

I'm talking about the website when I click my account it defaults to Dutch

Brit living in Luxembourg and I have to put up with French language email newsletters. So annoying!

Most companies don't understand how to do proper internationalization.  They use geo-IP (or physical location) often as a language indicator which is totally wrong.

I am an american living in Germany.  

I get the spotify website in english.  Once I login it is still in english.

I have the english version of the spotify desktop app.  Haven't tried mobile app yet.

My billing address and postal code are germany.  

I get all spotify email notifications in German!  🙂  Way to not be consistent (site, app, email).  

I assume this would be part of the account settings but can't find any language specific selection on the website other than for the web interface.   Nice.

Billing address and physical location (IP address) does affect music/media availability because of distribution/licensing rights being different.  I get that.  I understand there might be some music in the US catalog that I can't access in DE.  Billing address and physical location also has implications for things like VAT collection.  I get that.

However physical location and billing address has nothing to do with language preferences expressed by the user via profile settings or in the absence of a known user, HTTP accept-language header...which should be used for offering default site and download languages.

Yep, same here... I live in Geneva, french part, and got the latest Spotify news this morning... in German... that I cannot read...

Similar problem with the Spotify website : 

I live in Belgium, where Spotify defaults to Dutch (even though english and french have higher priority in my browser settings)

I can switch languages using the country selector at the bottom of the page --> to belgium - french (although that's also written in dutch, which is not very smart)

The worst problem is that my new language preference is not remembered and the site switches back to dutch next time I visit

Suggested posts