Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Change of country - won't work!

Solved!

Change of country - won't work!

So, I am from Norway and have been a free user, but when I moved to California for some time Spotify detected that and told me to change my country in the account settings. I did that, and I also subscribed to the premium version.

Now that I'm home in Norway I have been an unlimited customer for a while. It's moslty good - but it is very annoying not to have some songs available because spotify THINKS I live in the US. And there doesn't seem to be any way of changing location without paying.

Please fix my account!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello rheabd, 

Follow the steps here - https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/account_help/how-can-i-change-my-country-setting/

in order to adjust your country to a France one (or the place where you are staying). When you go back, change it back to New Zealand.

I can speak to you in English, Español, Français, Italiano, 日本, 普通话, 廣東話, 한국어, Tiếng Việt

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
I'm not a Spotify official! Just here to help!

View solution in original post

48 Replies

Hey, welcome to the Community.

You should just be able to change your country in your profile settings - you'll need to put in payment details, but it won't actually begin a subscription.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

I am in the UK my card is registered in the Uk - I have purchased some music on my monthly account but it will nt allow me to buy other music - don't understand?

@428ss wrote:

So, I am from Norway and have been a free user, but when I moved to California for some time Spotify detected that and told me to change my country in the account settings. I did that, and I also subscribed to the premium version.

Now that I'm home in Norway I have been an unlimited customer for a while. It's moslty good - but it is very annoying not to have some songs available because spotify THINKS I live in the US. And there doesn't seem to be any way of changing location without paying.

Please fix my account!

I have the same problem, I´m from the UK but I´m in Spain for 6 months - why do you have to put your account details in? If Spotify aren't going to charge me then I don't see any reason why they need them.  I'm here as a volunteer so I don't have money in my account, so I'm a little worried that if Spotify take any money out "accidently" I'll be overdrawn.  It will be a real pain trying to sort it out with my bank from over here - it's hard enough when I'm in the UK!

logi06- I can see my colleague Richard got back to you on this other thread.

cleeface- Users that know they are going to be abroad for more than 14 days need to ugprade their accounts to Unlimited or Premium. 

In order to use Spotify while in Spain you needed to upgrade your account while still in the UK. 

Keep an eye on your inbox--I've just sent you an email with some more details. 

Hi there, 

So, after reading this, it must be possible to move from one country to another, without major problems right?

I'm living in Sweden and I'm thinking about getting a premium account (which would be connected to my Swedish bankaccount and phonenumber). But I will be moving to Germany. Can I just 'take' everything with me? And will it still be able to use it on my phone, even if I don't have the same numer anymore?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Lode-- Moving to Germany won't be a problem at all. You'll still be able to use it on your phone and have all of your offline playlists. 

With your Premium account you can travel abroad for as long as you'd like. Just note that if you cancel the subscription you'll need to change your country and/or upgrade using a German credit card once you're in Germany.

Nice! Then probably I wont expect any major problems..

Cool!

hi, is there anyway to upgrade to preimium now that i have left the uk, using my uk bank account? i am in New zealand and don't have a credit card for use of internet services.

Thanks.

Hi kp123- Yes users can do this quite easily so long as they're using a credit card registered in a Spotify launch country.

In fact I can see you've already made that upgrade just today. Enjoy!

Hi, 

I've been living in Norway for the past two months so I switched my account over to be able to listen to music there. Now that I am home in the US, I am unable to access anything. I have updated my country and even addeded payment details even though I have a free account but it is still not working. Any suggestions? 

Thanks, 

T

Hi trceraflops - It looks as though you've closed the Facebook account that you used to create your Spotify account.

As the two are connected you'll need to reactive that FB in order to keep enjoying your Spotify. 

Hi Meredith, im having the same problem. I set up my Spotify account whislt on holiday in Spain and now it wont allow me to upgrade into a UK account.. Ive sent an email days ago to customer care Ref :  00227522 but no response ??

Can somone reset at your end ?

Help.. Steve

Hi SteveSudeley - I can see a response is on the way. Keep an eye on your inbox for me. 

I have this same problem, I read the thread so far but still have few questions & comments

- I have a free accout that I registered in Finland

- I moved to France about month ago and now Spotify says my current country does not match my profile

-----> I go to Spotify FAQ where it says " If you have moved we suggest you change the country in your profile, as long as you have moved to one of our other launch countries." (BTW, "launch countries" link is broken) 

-----> So then I go to my profile to change the country which it won't let me do since I don't have french payment method (= I don't yet have credit card given by french bank). 

And to complicate things more, on Your subscribtion -page it says "Your account can no longer be used from abroad, since the maximum travel time is 14 days for a Spotify Free account"

So, my question is, can I use my current free account from France by changing my coutry like you FAQ suggest or can I not use it like you Your subscribtion -page suggest???

If former, how can I change the coutry withour french payment method? 

If latter, can I make another free account with my french data? 

I'm having a very similar problem studying abroad in Austria. I should not have switched my country, because it won't switch back, and I can't access anything anyway. I'm also having trouble starting a premium account, which I would like to do. I could use some help getting my profile set back to the US.

ramps - Users that need to change their country (without a credit card) will need to use our contact form

We can make this change for you after confirming some quick details. 

lizabethfrances - Do you have a US credit card? If so, you should be able to go to your subscription page and select 'Add a Payment Method'. This will change your country settings without charging your account. 

If you're having any trouble with that page please let us know. 

Okay,  I am unable to set a method of payment with either of my US cards.  I sent a contact form, hopefully I will have a response quickly.  Thanks.

Hi lizabethfrances - We believe we might be having some trouble with the subscription page at the moment. What happens when you go to change your details?

Anyway you could provide us with a screenshot? 

I cannot change my country because I changed it to Austria without realizing the problems this would cause. Here are my various attempts and problems.

My Spotify is in offline mode (though I don't have premium currently):
file:///Users/Ellie/Desktop/Screen%20shot%202012-09-06%20at%205.07.12%20PM.png
Spotify will not accept a payment method:
file:///Users/Ellie/Desktop/Screen%20shot%202012-09-06%20at%205.07.34%20PM.png
and I cannot alter my country:
file:///Users/Ellie/Desktop/Screen%20shot%202012-09-06%20at%205.08.03%20PM.png
Hopefully you can access these screen shots. If not, let me know.

Ellie

Suggested posts