Change of country - won't work!

Solved!
Highlighted

Change of country - won't work!

428ss
Casual Listener

So, I am from Norway and have been a free user, but when I moved to California for some time Spotify detected that and told me to change my country in the account settings. I did that, and I also subscribed to the premium version.

Now that I'm home in Norway I have been an unlimited customer for a while. It's moslty good - but it is very annoying not to have some songs available because spotify THINKS I live in the US. And there doesn't seem to be any way of changing location without paying.

Please fix my account!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: Change of country - won't work!

Ambivalence
Community Legend

Hello rheabd, 

Follow the steps here - https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/How-can-I-change-my-country-setting/

in order to adjust your country to a France one (or the place where you are staying). When you go back, change it back to New Zealand.

I can speak to you in English, Español, Français, Italiano, 日本, 普通话, 廣東話, 한국어, Tiếng Việt

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
I'm not a Spotify official! Just here to help!

View solution in original post

48 Replies
Highlighted

Richard
Roadie

Hey, welcome to the Community.

You should just be able to change your country in your profile settings - you'll need to put in payment details, but it won't actually begin a subscription.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
Highlighted

logi06
Regular

I am in the UK my card is registered in the Uk - I have purchased some music on my monthly account but it will nt allow me to buy other music - don't understand?

@428ss wrote:

So, I am from Norway and have been a free user, but when I moved to California for some time Spotify detected that and told me to change my country in the account settings. I did that, and I also subscribed to the premium version.

Now that I'm home in Norway I have been an unlimited customer for a while. It's moslty good - but it is very annoying not to have some songs available because spotify THINKS I live in the US. And there doesn't seem to be any way of changing location without paying.

Please fix my account!

Highlighted

cleeface
Casual Listener

I have the same problem, I´m from the UK but I´m in Spain for 6 months - why do you have to put your account details in? If Spotify aren't going to charge me then I don't see any reason why they need them.  I'm here as a volunteer so I don't have money in my account, so I'm a little worried that if Spotify take any money out "accidently" I'll be overdrawn.  It will be a real pain trying to sort it out with my bank from over here - it's hard enough when I'm in the UK!

Highlighted

Spotify
Spotify

logi06- I can see my colleague Richard got back to you on this other thread.

cleeface- Users that know they are going to be abroad for more than 14 days need to ugprade their accounts to Unlimited or Premium. 

In order to use Spotify while in Spain you needed to upgrade your account while still in the UK. 

Keep an eye on your inbox--I've just sent you an email with some more details. 

Highlighted

Lode
Regular

Hi there, 

So, after reading this, it must be possible to move from one country to another, without major problems right?

I'm living in Sweden and I'm thinking about getting a premium account (which would be connected to my Swedish bankaccount and phonenumber). But I will be moving to Germany. Can I just 'take' everything with me? And will it still be able to use it on my phone, even if I don't have the same numer anymore?

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted

Spotify
Spotify

Hi Lode-- Moving to Germany won't be a problem at all. You'll still be able to use it on your phone and have all of your offline playlists. 

With your Premium account you can travel abroad for as long as you'd like. Just note that if you cancel the subscription you'll need to change your country and/or upgrade using a German credit card once you're in Germany.

Highlighted

Lode
Regular

Nice! Then probably I wont expect any major problems..

Cool!

Highlighted

kp123
Visitor

hi, is there anyway to upgrade to preimium now that i have left the uk, using my uk bank account? i am in New zealand and don't have a credit card for use of internet services.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Spotify
Spotify

Hi kp123- Yes users can do this quite easily so long as they're using a credit card registered in a Spotify launch country.

In fact I can see you've already made that upgrade just today. Enjoy!

SUGGESTED POSTS