Premium

Country
Netherlands

Device

HP z440

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro

My Question or Issue

I know you cant change your Spotify username but theres a help page that states "You can create a custom display name that replaces the username where it shows on your profile , app, playlists , and Friend Activity .(SOURCE)

The help page continues by giving two options, the first being that you create a new account... but to me that sounds like creating a new user rather then changing a display name. Or can I just create a second account on the same e-mail/username? So that I use that new account for alternative display name and the new account will not overwrite the old one? (Then will they also share the premium membership?) Im a bit hasitant to create a new account fearing to override the old one.

Perhaps "changing the display name" only refers to the second offered option: to use your facebook profile name but if that is what is meant then im confused why this help page starts with suggesting the new account as the first solution.

Annotation 2020-01-19 184443.jpg
5 Replies

Hey @silbendejonge, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Yes, the second option is more convenient if you have Facebook. You can connect the Spotify profile to your Facebook account, so your display name will change to your Facebook name. The article on how to get started is found here. 

If you don't have Facebook, then you'd need to create a new account and enter your display name at account creation. It's not possible to create a new account under the email address that is being used with another account, so you don't need to worry about that. You can create a new Spotify account here if that is how you would like to proceed.

I hope this helps!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you for your reply Billy,

The facebook option is not a solution for me, facebook and spotify names are nearly identical. 

Also I dont think the option to make a new account will be a solution, assuming that if I make a new account I will loose my collection of albums and playlists, or is there a simple way to transfer my collection to the new account? (If I would have that new account with the 'custom display name' will that name finally be customizable?)

Hey @silbendejonge,

No worries! If you'd like to create a new account, you can do so here. Once you do, let me know and I'll show you some steps on how to transfer music onto the new account.

Looking forward to your reply!

Billy-JSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you for the suggestions, but I can't believe in this day and age, we can't simply change our username.  I created my user name many years ago and I simply want to update it.  This should be a very simple task - without having to create a brand new account and transferring playlists, etc.  Plus, in my case, I need to create a brand new email address.  So frustrating. 

Hey there @leeru,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We are always trying to make our app better and appreciate your feedback. We'll make sure to pass it on to the right team.

You can also have a look in our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion about an option to change the username. If there isn't one, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea. That way other people can support it. Rest assured that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.   

Currently there is no option to change the username, but you can add or change your display name with these steps. Then your friends can find you with the display name you've chosen. 

Hope this helps. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts