Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Changing my country

Changing my country

Plan

Premium

Country

NL 

Device

Windows Desktop

Operating System

Win 10

My Question or Issue

Dear All, 

Having used spotify free for a while, I decided to go addfree and become a premium user. While using the free plan, I had my country set to DK because thats where I´m from though living in Netherlands, but it was never a problem because I always run everything through a Danish VPN. But now that I have entered my NL credit card details, it´s locked on Netherlands as the country, and I cannot change it anymore.
I´m sure that there´s a workaround so that functionality does not decrease if you decide to actually pay spotify for its service, but how? 
I have no DK credit cards, and expect it to not be necessary - otherwise it´d be the first time I heard of a paid version having disadvantages over a free version of a product.

10 Replies

Hi there,

Your account's setting is always locked to the country where your payment method has been issued.

If you'd like to change your country settings to DK, you'll need to be in DK and have a payment method that's been issued there.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Thanks,

It helps me yes, but not in the way I hoping for. It helps me to understand that Im better off using spotify free where the setting for country is IP dependent, hence I can listen to the songs I want - that not being the case with premium.

Hi @Carlos_Sanchez,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll make sure to pass it on to the relevant team at Spotify. 🙂

Have a great weekend.

Thanks for this and the same to you. I´d be surprised though if they suddenly change their whole setup.. I cant be the first who is frustrated by this, but I doubt there are enough of us to make it worth a change. The business thinking is pretty simple: With free you cant scare people off asking them for credit card details, so you need to rely on their IP addy, but as soon you theyre premium members spotify can satisfy the copyright holders better by letting peoples credit card details be the thing that determines ones country.
Anyway, hopefully I´m wrong and it´s something spotify is able to change without breaking any agreements they have.

Update: Just to warn others about trying the following:

I made a paypal account where my country was set to DK and wired 30 EUR into it from another paypal account, thinking that I could pay with that.

However, it seems that spotify does not allow one to pay with the paypal balance (DK membership actually costs 33 % more than from NL!), but only with cards registered to the paypal account so this unfortunately is not a work around...

Hey @Carlos_Sanchez.

Thanks for getting back to us.

You'll need a payment card or bank account connected to your PayPal account if you would like to pay via PayPal.

We'd also like to mention that Premium users have unrestricted access to their music, from any country in the world. So you'll be able to access your music at all times.

Hope this answers your questions. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Thanks, but does that also mean that I have access to the full collection of music from DK even if my account is in NL? Thats what Im questioning, and perhaps my assumption was wrong that I dont have that.

Hey @Carlos_Sanchez.

If you use a Dutch payment method, you'll have the music available for the Dutch market. The vast majority of music on Spotify is available for all market but there might be songs available for Danish users that aren't available for Dutch users, and vice versa.

We'd love to be able to offer all music everywhere, but licensing agreements vary per country.

Sorry about that. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Hello

first you have to go through your browser

1. then on your profile
  2. then edit profile
  3. then "More about changing your country."

• Spotify.JPG

Thank you all, so then in other words there´s no way I can do what I want.. As somebody living permanently outside the country where I want songs from hence having no credit card for this country, I can only listen to DK market songs with a free account through a DK VPN - paying for premium will remove ads but also remove this more important privilegie. Such a shame.

Suggested posts