Charged from GB instead of AUD and i got charged international fees on my credit card

Charged from GB instead of AUD and i got charged international fees on my credit card

fgamedia
Music Fan

hi, i've been charged monthly from Spotify AU, but this month i was charged by Spotify GB instead, and i got charged additional international fees. Just checking if there was a reason why this happened? 

37 Replies

iRemeber87
Casual Listener
You are wrong on so many levels. Firstly, Australian customers signed up to an Australian Spotify, it was Spotify choice to centralise to an overseas bank which has caused this. Banks here in Australia don't just charge a international fee for fun, it's because they have received a payment request from you and your foreign bank. At what stage were customers notified that such a change by Spotify would lead to more fees at our end. Many of my friends use Spotify and bank with different banks, we are all getting the extra charge so the root cause can only be Spotify. I might be one customer that you lose out of your error but many of my friends will follow and social media will hear about your blatant disregard for spotifys action (mainly due to avoiding tax in countries). I guess Apple Music is a better option after all.

Trinamen
Regular

Hi,

My bank states, that since GB leaved EU, they started to charge that fees. Because Spotify centers payments from other countries in the UK, and due to the UK leaving the EU, all banks will now charge this commission. 

I hope to see a solution to the problem as soon as possible. 

See my latest post, about my finding's. Seems that Spotify moderator´s were right all along.

fgamedia
Music Fan

This is what my bank said - "We confirm that from 18 January 2016, you will be charged an International Transaction Fee of 3.4% on transactions made with an overseas merchant in AUD."

So even if we are paying AUD, as long as it's an international merchant we get charged the international transaction fee.. so please fix that! or else let us know so we can leave spotify!

iRemeber87
Casual Listener

I'm also impacted. Since October which was when all spotify outside the USA was moved to Spotify AB insteand of Spotify Australia, i'm being charged and international fee for my monthly spotify (via paypal) payment on my credit card. My paypal account is set to AUD (Australia), so no reason for this to be happneing. The problem is at Spotify's end, as the bank are just working on the charge coming from PayPayl which is coming from Spotify.
Spotify you need to fix this problem, its been happening for 3 months now.

I will look to other streaming options if needed.

m_vidales

Hi Spotify, I'm having a similar problem, being charged $11.99 AUD but the charge is from Spotify Stockholm so I'm being charged an international transaction fee by my bank. i checked my account and the country is set up as Australia. Please rectify this immediately- thanks.

user-removed
Not applicable
I too have been charged an international fee this month also and it has never happened inthe past.
I am usually charged in AUD but last month i incurred a international transaction fee. Can this fee be reversed for me as it has never happened before.
I pay via PayPal

fgamedia
Music Fan

yeah it's kind of weird.. any resolution spotify?

MaryS
Roadie

Hey guys! Sorry to learn that you have been charged this foreign transaction fee.

I've checked your accounts and can confirm that we're only charging you 11.99 AUD for your Spotify subscription. You can also see this in your Receipts page here.

This international fee was not charged by us, rather it was charged by your bank. If this is the first time you have paid this fee, I would recommend contacting your bank to find out. You can also request to have the charges reimbursed.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have further questions.

22g4d3u2zcrdc2c
Casual Listener

Min not impressed! DON’T lie to your customers. I would seem after so long you systematically change your customers accounts to being charged in GBR. I would call that Australian tax avoidance! It’s kind of illegal, and sick of Australian customers paying more, getting less from international companies who pay no tax in Australia. Please rectify my account to be canaries in Australia. I want my own people to benefit, not English. I have always paid through PayPal, from 2017. The change came in October of 2019 when you started charging through GBR, not Australia. DO NOT BLAME OUR BANKS. They only charge for international purchases.

camanddee
Casual Listener
Mary - I have had this problem since mid year 2016. I have been requested Spotify to contact the bank 3 times each time I have and the answer is the same the bank is paying what the merchant requests. In this case the merchant is requesting the monies to be paid in Pounds and not AUS Dollar so the bank obliges but obviously has to charges a foreign transaction fee, bottom line is the merchant at fault not the bank. I feel as tho we are going in circles and the contract I agreed to when signing up was Spotify Aus membership fees not GB fees. Please address this issue with the importance and urgency it requires as the fees albeit minimal when added up over time it isn't so minimal. Please advise

fgamedia
Music Fan

hi, still waiting on a reply

fgamedia
Music Fan

hi, please reply.. it's happened 2 months in a row, it says you'ure charing us from GREAT BRITAIN, so doesn't matter whether it's in AUD or not, we still get international transaction fees.. please fix or we'll have to cancel our subscription..

fgamedia
Music Fan

Hi, This has happened again this month. So what happened is that even though it is getting charged in AUD, I'm getting charged by your GB branch instead of our AU branch and it's making me get charged international transaction fees. Please fix it, it's deifnitely on your end. The past whole year i've been getting charged from the AU branch, only last month and this month you've changed it to the GB branch.

user-removed
Not applicable
I too have been charged an international transaction fee again this month. Is it because you have moved your spotify billing to an overseas branch instead of an Australian branch? Please rectify this issue and refund the international transaction fee that i have been charged !

MaryS
Roadie

Hello, and thanks for the post.

May I know the payment method you use to pay for Premium?

Speak to you soon!

fgamedia
Music Fan
Hi, it is through PayPal

MaryS
Roadie
Can I just confirm that you have your Paypal currency settings set to the correct country?
SUGGESTED POSTS