Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Created a playlist and cant rearrange songs....

Solved!

Created a playlist and cant rearrange songs....

Seems like a simple action but i am unable to move a song from a playlist, i created, from bottom to top?

Thanks.

169 Replies

@David wrote:

Hey there!

It seems that one of the organisation settings at the top of your playlist may have been selected. Check the top of your playlist and see of any of the column headings looks like the Artist one below.

Screen Shot 2012-05-17 at 6.46.35 PM.png

If it does, click on it a couple of times, and it should go back to normal.

Does that still apply??

Spotify web page seems new? Like the app?

So the sort songs & drag/drop isn't available any more??
& Playlists aren't moveable either?

Are we stuck with YOUR MUSIC page Playlists fixed in the old positions!? I was just going to spend a while getting them into a logical order 😞

Marked as solution

GUYS. I FIGURED IT OUT. all you have to do it go on the tab that is clicked, for example, song, artist, album etc. thats on the top of the playlist, and click it twice or three times and then youre going to be able to move the songs in the playlist however you like. i was getting frustrated with this too but i just figured it out.

I think I was looking at the web page https://play.spotify.com/user/______ and that's where I can't drag anything round or sort things.

May 28th 2015 UK
It seems to have uploaded a new spotify desktop player to the PC : 1.0.5.186.ga9c24d6a
On that I seem to be able to drag and drop playlists and tracks
and reorder A-Z/Z-A , when it shows a bright green 'V' arrow beside the column title.

Also I'm a bit surprised to notice this is in the forum ...spotifyaccountrelated
Maybe there is a better forum for this?

I'm on my tablet at the moment but does https://play.spotify.com/ get you to the page for downloading the desktop player for pc?

Great, thanks! Tried it and the trick is in NOT double clicking but clicking 3 times - that's where I went wrong before!

I'm on desktop (web interface) and don't see the sort options people in this thread are talking about...

Edit: Apparently drag+drop only works in the app...  Problem solved.

Spotify.jpg

I had a hard time figuring this out on the Spotify webplayer. Turns out it is easy to sort by artist name, album and date added if you using the mobile Spotify iPhone app. At the top/upper right hand corner above the playlist/album cover artwork, there are three periods/suspense-points. BELOW those are three indented lines.  Click on those.  

July 2015

I have a very simlar problem, but only Bugging  with one playlist.All of my other playlists are working fine but only my Metal List is blocked, i only can add and delete songs but i cant move them inside the list.This Bug happend, after i had a pistol on the head by facebook to chanche my name.The other lists are untouched by this.No idea what i can do, i dont want to delete it.The List exsit over 2y now.

Thank you SOOOO much. This worked perfectly. Now I can MANUALLY arrange the songs exactly how I want!

This absolutely is the solution. Thanks elee!!!

Hey,why is this not a feature yet?

I've gone through the thread - all 9 pages and 3 years worth. I realize that interfaces change. 

With that being said, I still can't re-arrange my playlist. 

Tired it on the PC in a browser - can't just drag an item up or down. Can't sort by clicking on "Artist" or "title" or anything like that. 

Saw a mention of doing this on the app. So I fired up my app on my S5 Android phone. I press of the song I want to move and I get a menu about the song but I can't just drag it up or down. There's also no mention of how to re-arrange the item in my playlist in the menu. 

My playlist was set to "custom" by default. So I tried "artist" and pressed on it 3 or 4 times, as mentioned previously. Nope - didn't work. I tried "title" and the other filters and no go. 

Is this feature still available? Is it because I am not using an Apple product that I am not able to re-arrange? I'm paying for Spotify on a monthly basis so I know it's not because I am using the free version of something... is it?

Perhaps if this does work someone can make a youtube video or something to show it actually happening? Screen shots of interfaces from long ago does no good, especially when they are non-browswer or OS specific. 

Marked as solution

Total disapointment, looks like it is time to try apple music

Hey Chrispopp8,

I agonized over this some time back, there is light at the end of the tunnel! 🙂

I assume you've started a playlist, or more of your own. So now you're looking at the contents of your playlist as soon as you've launched Spotify and clicked on the playlist name.

On the central area of the inteface you see your tracks listed. Above the tracks you have some headers, like Song...Artist..Date. At this point, before you click on anything, you should be able to click and drag tracks around. If you see the blocked sign as you try to move them, have a look at the headers: does one of them have a down-pointing or up-pointing arrow head? If so, it means you have sorted the tracks by means of the header (by clicking on it), either in ascending or descending order. While in this condition, you cannot drag the tracks around to re-order them.

You need to click on the header where the arrow is displayed, once or twice until it disappears. You then are able to move the tracks around. If you think about it there is some sort of sense in this: why would anyone want to see the tracks sorted in date or title order, just to drag them around? What is painful is that it is so difficult to find out about how this works, that someone has to explain it to users! There should be a pop up instruction or error message to help users in the first place.

What I find helps is that I create as many playlists as I think I may need, sometimes replicating many of the tracks in other playlists, and save them in the order I want to play them most of the time. You can still drag tracks around when you have your DJ session, or you can use the Queue button.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

PS. I appreciate that this may not help in your case, don't know why. I'm using a Windows 10 laptop. When I use Spotify on my tablets I don't change anything.

Marked as solution

Finally solved. 

You can only sort stuff if none of the columns selected for ordering AND you have Queue play mode selected!

Spofity, you need to fire all you dumb UI/UX experts it is just nonesense.

My set-up doesn't look like that. I'm using a Google Chromebook. It's definitely a playlist that I've created but there are no options to reorder it by song, track or artist. Those titles are there but they can't be clicked on. It won't allow me to drag tracks up and down manually either. Any ideas?

I don't pay for Spotify.

On my dektop PC chrome browser it used to be draggable and sortable by the column heading.

Now I'm sure it is not.

I did read somewhere that it is possible to instruct your computer to not accept new versions of Spotify - but it was too complicated for me to understand.

Are you using Spotify as an app you downloaded and installed on your Chromebook or other device? Or are you going to Spotify via a page on a web browser, like Chrome?

how do you unsort the headings.  the headings are greyed out

thanks

i doesn't work on my pc either

Suggested posts