Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Created a playlist and cant rearrange songs....

Solved!

Created a playlist and cant rearrange songs....

Seems like a simple action but i am unable to move a song from a playlist, i created, from bottom to top?

Thanks.

169 Replies

The new update prevents from re arranging songs in playlist for some reason, at least on Android phones. The easiest work around is to download spotify on your computer, log in and easily re arrange the songs and watch it take place on your phone instantly.

And that's all to it.

i tried this but my problem is that it doesn't work on the webplayer either! the artist/song buttons don't work like that where I can click them and it'll resort itself 😕 what should I do?

I didn't mention in my original post but I have a samsung galaxy s7 edge and I have the Spotify app on my Mac book air. If i can i will post a video showing when I rearrange songs in the spotify app it almost mirrors that in real time on my phone.

Me too. I'm on the webplayer and can't sort by column or rearrange songs. I threw them in there randomly as I thought of them and now I would like to make them flow better, but I can't. When I try to drag a track to a new position in the list, I get a crossed out circle symbol. 

"Me too. I'm on the webplayer..."

I'm not very well up on the terminology... if the web player is the ap type thing I open on a PC desktop... it IS very slow... If I click on a track I have to hold the left button down for about 30 seconds or so before I can move it. I have had the crossed out circle but I forget when & I'm not near the PC.

Are all your columns unsorted?

Hi,

By webplayer, I mean I'm logged in to the website using Chrome on a PC. 

I also am unable to sort the list by columns, so yes, all columns are unsorted. 

I'm on my tablet at the moment but does https://play.spotify.com/ get you to the page for downloading the desktop player for pc? 

That should let you drag and drop. You need to click on the track name, not the album or artist. ~~~~~~~

As I remember .... you can right click then select a few tracks to drag. At some point I recollect I could drag them downwards but not upwards....? It was a bit odd. It became easier to create a 'new empty' playlist then highlight/select a few tracks, >right click(?), >Add to a different playlist('new empty'). (?does it load them in reverse order, check) 

Marked as solution

OK, I think we have a solution! 

I have downloaded the program (app?) to my laptop and in that interface I am able to rearrange tracks and sort the columns. 

I could not find any link to the download from the webplayer, so I googled it. www.spotify.com should get anyone to the right download for Mac vs. PC. 

Sheesh what a process! 

It took me ages to find it too and to work out what the differences/similarities are.

Either we are blind idiots...
or Spotify isn't very good at explaining what it has to offer.
I know which I think.

me too, its extremely frustrating!

there arent even any header options when I open an individual playlist... just the songs listed in the order I added them. I cannot figure out how to add songs to playlists in my browser nor can I delete all the songs I want, just a couple individually. 

Marked as solution

Thanks, Unclicking one of the sorting options did it!

Marked as solution

It's mind boggling to me that after YEARS of users complaining about sorting, Spotify has done NOTHING to fix it. The official answer just doesn't work.

I've attached an animated GIF screencast that shows dragging tracks just doesn't do anything. I don't have any sort order activated because there's no option to sort any more. And yes, it's my own playlist I'm trying to reorder.

**bleep** Spotify.

Can't reorder tracks.gif

The first post with the picture and all the likes is ITUNES...I am not able to click on the "headings" on mine...they don't light up or become bold. Nothing happens when you click on them.......

Marked as solution

I figured it out!! You have to be using DESKTOP version of Spotify, not the online/app version. It has to be downloaded to your computer. Then you can reorder your songs in your playlists!!

@mkbehling12 wrote:

The first post with the picture and all the likes is ITUNES...I am not able to click on the "headings" on mine...they don't light up or become bold. Nothing happens when you click on them.......

idk itunes

afaik to drag tracks you need to be using the spotify app, on a PC.

Not a browser.

Not the app on a phone.

The fact that you have to use the PC app to reorder songs in a playlist is just dumb, and let me explain you why. I'm a progreammer.

If you can reorder the songs from the PC app, it means the PC app can reorder them, and the Spotify server can remember that order. So if the browser/web app could reorder them, then the server already can, so the only work to be done is on the web app.

Now here's the thing: there are already web app widgets that let you reorder lists VERY EASILY. It's super simple for a web app to integrate one of these widgets, for example https://jqueryui.com/sortable/

The fact that Spotify didn't take an hour or so of engineering time to integrate this, after all these requests, is just beyond comprehension.

Marked as solution

Interesting that Spotify still haven't fixed it. The official sollution does not work, it is not even possible to click on the "Artists" and rearrenge them like that.

@EnSvenskLyssnar wrote:

..., it is not even possible to click on the "Artists" and rearrenge them like that.

I can sort and drag with the downloaded desktop player for pc.

I can sort and filter temporarily with the app on an Android tablet.

I can't even highlight any of the top headers. AND I can't move songs around inside of the playlist

Suggested posts