Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Credit Card being charged. I don't have an account.

Credit Card being charged. I don't have an account.

I am continuosly being charged monthly for a spotify premium account which I do not have.  I would like to cancel this charge immediately.

Please tell me how I can accomplish this, and what information would be required to do this?

Following is the information from my credit card statement:

07/14/2013 Spotify USA 877-778-1161 NY $9.99  
  Transaction Type: 2  
  Post Date: 07/14/2013  
  Reference Number: SXJDC700  
  Merchant Category: Merchandise - DIRECT MARKETING-CONTINUITY SUBSCRIPTION  
  Charge To: Standard Purch

24 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

You will need to get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to get that sorted out for you. The Spotify team should be able to cancel and refund that for you (hopefully) after verifying a few details. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

First, I want to know how Spotify obtained my CC information and charged me for a premium subscription, and second, I want to know who they gave the subscription to, because it's certainly not linked to my account!  The same thing happened to me as Mdannenbring.

I first called the number on the credit card charge on Saturday.  I got a generic message asking me to go online.  Then I used the contact form and I got an "auto-reply" stating that I could find all the answers I needed by going online.  Then, I replied to that email saying that I wanted a real person to help and I got no answer.  After 48 hours of no reply, I replied again letting Spotify know that I was disputing the claim and letting my credit card know the charge was fraudulent.  Then I googled to find any other email addresses connected to spotify, copy-pasted my previous correspondence in the email and said that I still hadn't ever received a response and I was still hoping to get some answers.  

Today, I finally got an answer.  I was told that they couldn't find any previous correspondence with me (That's a lie, I copy-pasted everything I sent in the email).  I was also told that my account wasn't linked to a premium subscription and none of my credit card information was in my account. No **bleep**!  Do you think I would be this upset if I had given you my credit card in the first place?  Then I was asked to provide a receipt of the charge.  Seriously? Do you think I have a receipt if the charge was fraudulent?  I replied to the email, re-copying all my previous correspondence with Spotify, as well as attaching a screen-shot of the fraudulent charge.  The fact that it is $10 is irrelevant.  This is credit card fraud, plain and simple, totally illegal.  I want to know how they got my information and am looking into reporting them.

bailadicta -

I'm having the same issue -- but I wasn't charged once, I was charged FIVE TIMES. I have never made any purchases via spotify, and I have no idea where they got my cc information. Who did you contact? Did they resolve your issue?

Left a reply on your other post.

Peter

Araja,

I got a reply from someone named Irene in customer support in the UK once, telling me that I don't have a premium account, which I already know.  After replying back to her, I haven't heard anything.

Peter, 

Thanks for the information, but I'm still not getting a reply from Spotify.

When did you reply back?

Peter

When I got the auto-reply, I replied immediately.  Then I replied again about 48 hours later, and after no response sent it to another email I googled.  I finally got a reply and I think I answered a few hours later and that was two days ago.

bailadicta --

I received a fairly generic message from a "Samantha" from the Spotify UK office. I responded to the no-reply yesterday, and I responded to her email just now (as per Peter's advice). Hopefully we will be able to get some answers soon. 

Araja,

I finally got a message from some guy named Joe asking me to get the Transaction Authorization Code from my credit card company in order to find the fraudulent account that was opened with my credit card. He also asked me to confirm the last four digits of my CC. So I called the credit card company and they said that they can't give that code out to their cardholders, that only merchants could call in and obtain that information.  Since it seemed that I've been sent around and around on a wild goose chase, I've placed a fraud alert  for Spotify on my credit card account, cancelled my old card and requested a new one.  I would suggest you do the same.  If you place the fraud alert on the account, your CC company will contact you before any transactions by Spotify are posted (at least that's what they're supposed to do).  Hope you get it figured out!

bailadicta --

Thanks for the information! I have done mostly the same thing as you (including placing an alert on my credit card). I have been contacted by not 1 but 2 different people from spotify asking me to provide them the same information. To be honest, this whole thing is making me incredibly uncomfortable -- I was under the impression that spotify was a lot more reliable and professional than this -- I'm not impressed by their work so far. I hope to resolve this soon.

Ditto.  My impression so far is that Spotify is run out of some random basement somewhere. If they think I'm crazy enough to resend them my CC info that they've already somehow acquired in an unsecured email, well, they're not very smart. I only hope that this doesn't happen again.

I also got a charge on my credit card from "spotify USA" . I do not have a premium account with them and I never gave them my credit card number. I think spotify is innocent, clearly someone is using the spotify name to scam us. I am calling my credit card company directly to have them remove the fradulent charge.

Hey there @HQ12321312 and welcome to the community!

I HIGHLY recommend reaching out directly to Spotify Support. They can be reached through their Twitter Page @SpotifyCares or through the online contact form.

Make sure to check your inbox and junk folder for an email from Spotify. Once you get it, make sure to reply back right away, even if it says it's from a "no-reply" email.

Cheers!

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

I just got a notice from my credit card that i have been overdrawn, yet i knew it had been months since ive used this specific card. i decided to look at the account to find out i have been charged SIX times by this company for a membership i have never signed up for, and never gave my card number to. I would like it cancelled now, and resolved. i tried calling the number provided only for it be proven useless. 

@sbag4893 

I suggest you contact support so they can help you

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I am getting charge for a premium account when I have already cancel. Please how can i fix it?

I recently received a new capital one card. All of a sudden found a charge on my statement for Spotify Premium. I love Spotify, but didnt authorize this charge. 

spotify.PNG

Hey @mshellenberg!

You'd want to reach out to Spotify Support at the address provided above. They can definitely assist you here!

Cheers!

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

I am having the same problem with this company. They suck! It's impossible to get in touch with a real person here. My credit card company told me to contact the fraud department and I will be doing that today. I am also contacting the number they gave me for company complaints like this to contact the state you live in and report this company.

Suggested posts