Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Credit card fraud traced with 100% certainty to Spotify

Credit card fraud traced with 100% certainty to Spotify

I just reported fraudulent credit card activity on my account. I am 100% sure the security breach came from Spotify since I use this card for only 2 merchants and I use one-time "dummy" numbers with the other merchant for every purchase. I have tried to use a dummy number with a monthly spending limit with Spotify but the charges were never succesful and Spotify kept threatening to close my account. The account rep told me they aren't able to use those sort of cards which is completely ridiculous since the process is invisible to the merchant.

It's kind of funny in retrospect because I had fraudulent activity on the other card I used to use for Spotify and I had to CHANGE my account to bill the new card when the old one was shut down because of the fraud.

This whole thing is fishy and Spotify apparently has a bad apple or two in their bushel basket. Unfortunately, I feel compelled to cancel my account which is too bad because I have really come to depend on the mobile service.

19 Replies

Hey there,

I'm terribly sorry about the stress this seems to be causing you. We've taken a closer look at your account and I just wanted to reassure you that it hasn't compromised. Our subscriptions work on a rolling basis which could by why the one-time number didn't work. We'll take a closer look and contact you via email shortly.

Me too. My bank just told me they blocked my Spotify payment for fraud... wtf? I am subscribed for more than one year.

My credit card was compromised as well. Hours after I signed up for Spotify, American Express called me and reported several fraudulent charges at Apple Inc., first $9.99 (which is surprisingly similar to the Spotify monthly fee), then $0.99, $19.99, until they shut down the account because they detected a typical fraud pattern.

Looks like Spotify could have a compromised payment system, please post if you experienced similar issues so that we can narrow down the problem.

That also happened to me and my boyfriend at the beginning of May. 

I tried to subscribe to Spotify usinge my Visa debit card and everytime it would come up a message saying  that I didn't have a valid card. So my boyfriend tried to subscribe just after me and he got the the same message on the screen.

Next day both of us got a call from the bank saying that our card had been compromised and that they would need to block our cards.

I was really excited to subscribe to Spotify but this situation unfortunately really put me off from subscribing. Don't feel like I can trust your payment system.

@user-removed wrote:

That also happened to me and my boyfriend at the beginning of May. 

I tried to subscribe to Spotify usinge my Visa debit card and everytime it would come up a message saying  that I didn't have a valid card. So my boyfriend tried to subscribe just after me and he got the the same message on the screen.

Next day both of us got a call from the bank saying that our card had been compromised and that they would need to block our cards.

I was really excited to subscribe to Spotify but this situation unfortunately really put me off from subscribing. Don't feel like I can trust your payment system.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

This sounds more like your banks security system was blocking Spotify's payment rather than your card really being compromised. Some banks really don't get along well with Spotify's payment system, since it will try and charge your card $0.01 before you subscribe just to verify the card exists. Some banks block that payment as suspicious (Nordea bank comes instantly to mind!)

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I was charged the spotify monthy fee, but I've never given spotify any credit card information. I use the Spotify Free. The credit card bank flagged it as fraud and closed the credit card. I will be closing my spotify account.

This exact thing happened to me as well. I looked at my statement and noticed that they charged me 9.99 and I have NEVER given them any credit card information. I just contacted my credit card company. They haven't terminated it yet. What ended up happening? I am deleting spotify and writing bad reviews so that others can be warned.

@Stesha77 

I suggest you contact support so they can help:

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

Or use the contact form that doesn't require signing in:

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-anonymous/

If you get an automated reply email, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

That sounds great and all, but when you click on any of those it's all in a foreign language. And I've already tried contacting them. It's been greater then 48 hours...

I contacted spotify through there support forum and through twitter about the fradulent card charges. I did get an email from them. But basically they asked for the same information I already sent them, like by account name etc. This went on for 3 times. Each time I would send them the information, they would ask for the same thing. Then they basically stopped emailing me and never would address the problem. If you google spotify fraud credit card you will find this is very common. They have a great music service but they are criminals.

I contacted spotify through there support forum and through twitter about the fradulent card charges. I did get an email from them. But basically they asked for the same information I already sent them, like by account name etc. This went on for 3 times. Each time I would send them the information, they would ask for the same thing. Then they basically stopped emailing me and never would address the problem. If you google spotify fraud credit card you will find this is very common. They have a great music service but they are criminals.

I cancelled my premium account after a trial run in Sept of 2014. I used my bank debit card. Out of the blue, in March 2015, Spotify

started charging me 9.99 a month for the premium account even though when I log in, my account is a FREE account!

Spotify charged me for March thru May before I discovered the problem. I contacted the bank and they asked me to contact Spotify.

That is when I found out to my shear horror that a company with millions of subscribers around the world, does not have a phone #

listed for the company!

Dozens of online searches yielded a horrifying series of fraudulent billing by Spotify primarily on debit cards.

I will tell everyone I know about the shady nature of Spotify's business transactions to make sure everyone knows about the bad apples

funding their off-shore retirement accounts with my hard earned money. To make matters worse these illegal transactions have resulted 

in a $35 overdraft fee which my bank is reluctant to reverse unless their research indicates the fraudulent nature of Spotify's transactions.

How can a company with millions of dollars in transactions not have a 800 customer service number?! This is unheard of.

Please share your horror stories about Spotify.

@onlinediva

Sorry for the late reply.

I suggest you contact support so they can help you

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

someone from Spotify needs to reach out to me because I have evidence of accounts being hacked and ID theft susepcts "carding" spotify.
909-477-2878 san Bernardino county sheriff - Rancho Cucamonga. Det Oro. your website does not allow people to contact your fraud department and it appears there are vulnerabilities with Spotify

@JaneWest35 Please contact us here then reply to this thread with your case #. We'll make sure this gets escalated. 

https://www.spotify.com/int/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

You are NOT sorry... just running around the bush... Spotify is a BIG FRAUD... against customers, against musicians and against music itself. YOU ARE A DODGY COMPANY and you're slowly killing music business.

I can't wait to see your admins in jail

Excuses... the thruth is quite clear... dodgy spotify

I have the exact same problem. I use my card only for spotify and someone somehow was using that card for all sorts of purchases! Please look into my case as well! Thank you-

My card number was stolen from Spotify as that is the only thing i use the card for! Used for various purchases had to cancel my card! Whats going on?

Suggested posts