Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

De-activate Facebook

Solved!

De-activate Facebook

All right.. Maybe I've been living under a rock, but this is just ridiculous.. And extremely frustrating..

I wish to deactivate my Facebook account, but continue to use Spotify (premium user).
No problem right? Well WRONG!! Been struggling for a few hours, and finally discovers that it's not possible to use Spotify, without having it linked to a Facebook account.. !!??

Come on my swedish, blue-eyed - blond haired brothers.. I'm a paying costumer, and I really like your service. ( it's greeeaaat! )

But why you would insist that I need FB to continue to use it is seriously beyond me..

I understand that you have a huge benefit by coorporating, but you really need to leave the choice to the users.

So yeah.. I guess I'll have to stop using your otherwise lovely product. 😞

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Youngdannyboy - There's nothing to worry about here. It looks like another account was created through your Facebook. This new, empty account is the one you've been accessing. Your playlists are still safe and sound.

When you next login, make sure you use your Spotify username 'youngdannyboy' and your Spotify password. You'll then access the right account. Once you're in, you can relink your Facebook. If you'd like to.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

View solution in original post

12 Replies

I can't speak on behalf of Spotify, but I have a theory on why they require you to link your account with Facebook.  Speaking from a software engineer's point of view, it occurs to me that Spotify would rather focus on the music related aspects of the application, and not as much on security.  By "outsourcing" the authentication and security in this fashion, it (at least theoretically) should allow Spotify to focus more on the user experience, and less on securing user data.  I realize that using Facebook can be a frustration for some people, so I don't want to sound like I am defending the decision to go this route.  Just trying to offer my opinion on why they might be doing it this way.

Tempararily de-activated my facebook for one week (personal reasons) knowing that I would be coming back.

The annoying thing is that I was a member with spotify pre-forced facebook login requirement. 

Even when I logged in with my Spotify credentials, there was some sort of join between the accounts, and everytime it re-activated my Facebook account, something that I did not want it to do. 

So not only did I take a week off of facebook but I was forced to take a week off of spotify, not my intention at all.

Ok, so 1 week, I can deal with it, so now Im ready to come back...Problem I have now, is that I have lost all my playlists!!

Its like it has reset my whole account! I am very very upset and angry at this now. Been a spotify premimum subscriber from the start, built up loads of really good playlists and for them all to disappear! Hardly fair.

Thanks spotify, thanks.

Marked as solution

Youngdannyboy - There's nothing to worry about here. It looks like another account was created through your Facebook. This new, empty account is the one you've been accessing. Your playlists are still safe and sound.

When you next login, make sure you use your Spotify username 'youngdannyboy' and your Spotify password. You'll then access the right account. Once you're in, you can relink your Facebook. If you'd like to.

-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Bingo! What a lifesaver!

As before I tried my spotify username youngdannyboy, but this time with an alternative password, and this time it worked. Everything is back.

Panic over.

Maybe spotify just need to allow for temporary facebook de-activations going forward!?

another question on the same topic. Have just created a new Spotify account, using my Facebook account which have been deactivated for years. I'd love to keep it that way, but it seems impossible. How active do I "have" to be on FB to still get my Spotify going? Do I have to be logged in to FB or is an active account enough? Best regards, AML / Kantarell1

I created my free account using facebook and I recently de-activated. I saw on a different post I can de-link facebook and spotify in the preferences but I didnt see an option for that. I tried creating a new account but I only have one email and it said its in use. What can I do?

You can check at your profile which email address you're using.

If it's the same as you want in your new account without facebook, the only way is to create a new email account I'm afraid.

If that's not the case, maybe you already registered another account with the email you want to use now but can't remember?

If so - you can reset your password here.

Can I delete or cancel my exisiting account so I can create a new one not connected to facebook? I know i will lose my playlists and stuff but I would rather start fresh than have a facebook account

Yes that is possible, but only via the Contact Form.

About your playlists, you can drag them to your desktop before deleting the account so they don't get lost.

Hi! Someone that I don't really know used to have access to my spotify account and I changed the password so that he would get logged off. Unfortunately it appears as if he has connected his facebook to my spotify and I only see his friends music and I can't figure out how to change it to my facebook instead. I would appreciate some help here..

Looks like hammeh's post here has helped you out.

-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

HI,

I recently deactivated my facebook. I did some research about the steps that I can take but it is not really clear what I should do with my subscription. So I'm a premium member in a family pack. How is it possible to get my premium subscription back when I created a new account? The other 5 e-mail adresses for the family pack are allready full.

Is it also possible to transfer all my playlist etc?

Thanks in advance,

Fien

Suggested posts