Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Deceased Peron's Account

Deceased Peron's Account

Hi,

I hope I put this in the right place. My friend recently passed away and I was wondering if Spotify deletes the accounts of people who die. His Facebook page has already been converted to a remembering page. We had awesome times listening to Spotify in my car and I want to keep listening to the music he had.

Thank you

9 Replies

Spotify doesn't delete an account unless the person or a close relative requests it to be deleted.

Do you already have access to the playlists you want to listen to?

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

All I have are the public playlists he created. I don't remember if we used a specific playlist or just listened to his whole library. He was in charge of the music

I've asked a Spotify employee to look into this for you. It could be that gaining access is not possible due to privacy concerns.

I'll let you know when I hear back.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you so much for your help

Hey @Meowmeex,

Thanks for contacting us here in the Spotify Community. 

You'll need to get in touch with our customer services team directly using the online contact form.

They'll be able to assist you further with this.

Let us know how you get on!

How do you cancel the deceased's account? My didn't have email or facebook so I'm not even sure how he created an account, but I'm closing his recurring credit card charges. This service doesn't have a phone service to contact anyone. Please help.

This could potentially be a different kind of issue. As far as I know you must have a valid email and / or Facebook account in order to create a Spotify account. I would be concerned that somebody had stolen their credit card information or something more nefarious.  I wish you luck and if I were you I'd email support with whatever information you can find out about their account to possibly get more help. 

Hey  ... is this still the case (that Spotify doesn't delete the playlists of those who've died)? 

What if the surviving family stops paying for the service?  The account would, obviously, be closed ... and the playlists removed.

Right?

Thanks!

i was told by Spotify that once the account is closed that the playlists disappear. Hello, My mother had spotify, she passed away and her account was closed however she shared her last playlist with me and now its gone too. I was going to copy it but i had so much going on. Is there anyway you could please locate it somewhere or provide a list of the songs? Her account profile name was theresa2e and the playlist was called the sound of silence. I know that it's probably too late but is there any possible way i can get that? its only been a couple of weeks...i'm devastated.

response: Hello there. Thank you for getting in touch with us.

As much as we'd love to help, we're afraid that when an account is closed, we won't be able to recover any playlists from it.

If it's passed 7 days already since the account's closure, there's no option to restore it. and 'm sorry to hear that. Yes, it normally takes 14-30 days before everything's removed.

Since it's no longer showing up, the accounts fully closed already and we aren't able to search for it on our end.

Suggested posts