Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disconnect from Facebook

Solved!

Disconnect from Facebook

Hi, 

I want to deactivate my Facebook account, but keep Spotify Premium. I've already paid and the two are linked. How can I convert my Spotify subscription over to a stand-alone subscription and get rid of my Facebook?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This is an old thread, and my reply below is no longer true. To sign up without Facebook, go to the sign up page and click "create an account using your email address"! If you signed up using a Facebook account, you must make a new account to be separate from Facebook.

original reply below, no longer true:

An active Facebook account is required to use Spotify.

If you registered before September 22nd 2011, just log in with the username you created during the registration process. If you signed up after then, you are tied to Facebook and can't use Spotify without it.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

You can give kudos points to this "Idea" if you hate forced Facebook: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/No-more-facebook/idi-p/33811

You can also give a comment that Spotify employees will ignore like they always do when it comes to forcing people on Facebook. Nothing has been done for 7 months, so I'm afraid this is going to be a permanent change. No Facebook, no Spotify.

I chose my username because of this, by the way.

View solution in original post

68 Replies
Marked as solution

This is an old thread, and my reply below is no longer true. To sign up without Facebook, go to the sign up page and click "create an account using your email address"! If you signed up using a Facebook account, you must make a new account to be separate from Facebook.

original reply below, no longer true:

An active Facebook account is required to use Spotify.

If you registered before September 22nd 2011, just log in with the username you created during the registration process. If you signed up after then, you are tied to Facebook and can't use Spotify without it.

I begrudgingly "accept as solution." Thanks for the info.

Marked as solution

You can give kudos points to this "Idea" if you hate forced Facebook: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/No-more-facebook/idi-p/33811

You can also give a comment that Spotify employees will ignore like they always do when it comes to forcing people on Facebook. Nothing has been done for 7 months, so I'm afraid this is going to be a permanent change. No Facebook, no Spotify.

I chose my username because of this, by the way.

click 'Edit' then 'preferences' then scroll down to 'social network' then click 'disconnect from facebook' 😄

@missobvious wrote:

click 'Edit' then 'preferences' then scroll down to 'social network' then click 'disconnect from facebook' 😄

That option is only availalbe to users that signed up before the integration. These users will have a unique Spotify username and can chose whether or not to connect their account to Facebook. 

If you joined via Facebook you won't see this section in your Preferences page. 

I have a premium account, how can I make that the music I listen to does not apear on facebook? Even the PRIVAT SESSION button I can't find anymore... And if I deselect "Spotify Social" it still shares my Music on facebook...

Software Version: 0.8.5.1.333g822e0de8, Mac

Thanks for your help!

Dennis

Hey! 🙂

There are 2 things. 

Firstly in your Preferences (Spotify > Preferences) do you like the "Share what I listen to on Spotify Social" and "Share what I listen to on Facebook" unticked? This should stop Spotify posting to your Facebook. You can also change the Spotify applications sharing settings from inside Facebook, under the privacy options of your account.

Inside the Spotify client you should be able to activiate a private session by clicking on your name in the top right hand corner and selecting private session from the drop down that appears.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi,

I did join via facebook and saw this section, then clicked the disconnect from facebook option because I was unaware that you could only do this if you had a spotify account from before the integration. I was immediately logged out, and now I can't log back in, even after following the reinstallation instructions here.

http://www.spotify.com/us/help/faq/tech/reinstallation-of-spotify-osx/

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

@msto12 wrote:

Hi,

I did join via facebook and saw this section, then clicked the disconnect from facebook option because I was unaware that you could only do this if you had a spotify account from before the integration. I was immediately logged out, and now I can't log back in, even after following the reinstallation instructions here.

http://www.spotify.com/us/help/faq/tech/reinstallation-of-spotify-osx/

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

That is strange, you should not have the disconnect from Facebook option unless your account is connected to a Spotify username. I would suggest you get in touch with the customer services team using the online contact form and they will be able to assist you with this further. 

Peter

Peter

It is a pitty. I was planning to subscribe to the premium service but I didn't want my account linked to facebook, since I have recently stopped using the social network.

I have to way until Spotify fix their system to allow the flexibility of disconnecting a spotify account from a facebook account.

I don't have this option.

Hey! 🙂

Unfortunately, if you created your Spotify account using Facebook then it is not possible to disconnect. 

I wrote a "do it yourself" tutorial on how to migrate to a non-Facebook account here 😉 

Peter

Peter

Hi,

I have the same problem as the original question in this thread. I created my account using facebook and the only way to change it is to delete my account. The problem is, you can't do this youself and the support team doesn't answer.

What do I do?

@Mulseen wrote:

Hi,

I have the same problem as the original question in this thread. I created my account using facebook and the only way to change it is to delete my account. The problem is, you can't do this youself and the support team doesn't answer.

What do I do?

Can you post your case number from when you got in touch with support and I will escalate it to the community staff for you? 

The case number is in the first automated email reply you get when you submit a contact form ticket. 

Peter

Peter

Hi Peter,

Here you go: 00637217

I have asked someone to chase that up for you. 

Peter

Peter

Mulseen - Someone should get back to you shortly.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Yea I just cancelled my subscription because I was FORCED to use my facebook account...   Oh well I guess I will try some other service... 

Is anyone at Spotify able to resolve this issue to our satisfaction? I would love to keep Spotify and my playlists, but I want to deactivate Facebook completely. Will I ever be able to?

Suggested posts