Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Discover Weekly Garbage?

Discover Weekly Garbage?

Hi, 

so what's up with discover weekly?  

It's been pure garbage for the last 4 months for me, having only bad music in it. I've disliked songs, stopped doing that now as it had 0 impact, like none. it's also recommending rap and electro to me which is weird as i have 0 rap or electro songs in my library.

anyone else is having the same issue?

i'd figure i'd start a new threat as the last one i found was from 2018/19

12 Replies

discover weekly is for songs that are trending and have a lot of listeners it isn't really personally tailored to your taste if you want something like that look for the made for you tab in your library
KyleRRRising Star 1
This week we're celebrating Star Values! #Respect #Inclusion #Support #Teamwork #Fun #Responsibility
If you like my posts, please give them a like or show some support.
We're celebrating Star Values!
If you like my posts, please give them a like or show some support.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

In the description of the playlist it says โ€˜picked for youโ€™, Implying it is tailored to what I listen to. It also shows up in the โ€˜made for youโ€™ section, implying, again, that itโ€™s made for me and tailored to me. 

there are also no other recommendations in the โ€˜made for youโ€™ section, instead only playlists of songs Iโ€™ve been listening to, which is not what I want, I have my own playlists, I want some new music.

Iโ€™m right there with you. Itโ€™s been a little over a month. My discovery weekly has been absolute trash. Thereโ€™s no dislike button anymore so itโ€™s not getting any better. Iโ€™m so over Spotify removing the like and dislike buttons, itโ€™s made it so I canโ€™t correct the algorithm and itโ€™s giving me utter garbage constantly.  

Hey everyone,

Thanks posting here in the Community! We'll gladly shed some light on the situation.

The way Discover Weekly algorithm works is that it takes into consideration both your own music library and that of users with similar taste. So if you feel that it's getting repetitive or doesn't quite fit your taste, you can give the algorithm a boost by expanding your collection. To that end you can like more songs and albums, follow more artists and you should start seeing an improvement after a couple of weeks.

Another great way to stumble upon new content is to navigate to the Search section on mobile or Browse on desktop devices. There you can find a wide range of playlists curated for different moods and situations. 

Hope this is helpful but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions!

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Totally agree.  Itโ€™s been horrendous for me for months now.  I listen to a lot of different music styles and since the โ€˜donโ€™t likeโ€™ button disappeared Iโ€™m getting the same genres or artists every week.  Please bring back the donโ€™t like button! 

Hey @nbaker01-gb,

Thanks for reaching out.

You should be able to use the Hide this song option in the Discover weekly using the   button. On desktop it appears when you hover over a song on the right. On mobile devices it's accessible using the three dot menu next to a track.

If this feature doesn't act as expected it's a good idea to clean reinstall Spotify on the device where this occurs. This step lets you start afresh with the latest app version by removing any corrupted files from previous installations. 

If that doesn't fix things, could you share a couple of screenshots of what you see at your end as well as the Spotify version you're running? 

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Very disappointing.

My Discover Weekly, once the best feature that made me invite all my family to Spotify, turned into a heap of atmosphere-sleep-ambient-skies-waves-doplhins-flutes... 

Just because I play 1 white noise track every night.

It seems not to notice that I play many other genres during the day, from Death Metal to Folk.

And the only reply from Spotify is: "use private session" or "click like button more". I will use my time better by searching for music manually than clicking buttons and hoping that one day some algorithm will notice this.

Don't like button still doesn't exist on desktop version

Just a small reminder that discover weekly is still trash in 2021. 

Despite using the 3 dots - โ€œView Artistโ€ - 3 dots - โ€œDonโ€™t Play This Artistโ€ to try to prevent the continual selection of **bleep** Country & Western rubbish that Discover Weekly continually churns out, nearly half of this weekโ€™s selections were **bleep** Country & Western 

I have the same problem. In my case I keep getting 10% recommended songs in Finnish because I once liked the Levan Polka. I tried hiding those songs, but I keep getting weird stuff (recently ~40% of my discover weekly is in Slavic languages that I don't understand, and this is really annoying).
I understand what you say, but I have built recommender systems in the past, and I am saying it would be useful to have a negative feedback option in the discover weekly, where I can say I don't like one specific song, so you could give a negative rating associated to my profile to that song and all similar songs.
It seems many people are having the same problem: why not do it, since it would not take much work?

@Mihail wrote:

Hey everyone,

Thanks posting here in the Community! We'll gladly shed some light on the situation.

The way Discover Weekly algorithm works is that it takes into consideration both your own music library and that of users with similar taste. So if you feel that it's getting repetitive or doesn't quite fit your taste, you can give the algorithm a boost by expanding your collection. To that end you can like more songs and albums, follow more artists and you should start seeing an improvement after a couple of weeks.

Another great way to stumble upon new content is to navigate to the Search section on mobile or Browse on desktop devices. There you can find a wide range of playlists curated for different moods and situations. 

Hope this is helpful but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions!

Yeah, this doesn't work. I've had this problem with the Discover weekly list for years. I've done exactly what you suggests doing. Adding new artist, following artists I like, subscribing to playlists etc. Still the Discover Weekly algo won't get it and recommends songs and artists I would never ever like.

It doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference between genres. Country location also seems to have an impact as it sometimes recommends very specific artists from countries around my own. It's common for me to hide the majority of the Discover Weekly list (26 of 30 this week). I listen to the same type of music and artists all the time. You'd think the algo would get it by now.

My Release Radar list however is almost always spot on to what I like.  So what is the difference between those two algos?

Suggested posts