Premium

Country

Australia

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Not sure if this is a problem happening lately or whatever, but I don't think my Facebook Friends list is syncing with who I'm following/who follows me on Spotify? 

There's people I can see under Friend Activity who are no longer my friends, and they're still following me. 

I'm also concerned as a result, my new Facebook friends won't add automatically. 

Is this normal? 

Attempts

• Cleared the Spotify app cache. 
  • Re-installed the app. 
  • Disconnected Facebook from Spotify. 
  • Disconnected Spotify from Facebook. 

Nothing. Thoughts? 

16 Replies

Hi there @chris_l_wong,

thanks for reaching out !

I would recommend visiting your account overview page, scrolling down and clicking on the "Privacy Tab" on the left menu.

Then, make sure that the "Process My Facebook Data" is turned on.

If it is, turn it off and back on, log out of your account and back in to "shake" things up.

However, bear in mind that the presented activity is for the people you follow + your friends on Facebook which allows the app to present their activity.

This added to the fact, the activity shows the most recent playing accounts might explain why you can see some while you see others.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

Hi OneByBoo! 

Thank you for getting back to me. 

So logged in, turned off Process my Facebook Data. Logged out. Logged in. Turned it on. 

Logged out of Spotify Desktop. Logged in. 

Sadly it did not work. They are still on my Friends Activity. 

Your logic about People you Follow + Facebook Friends makes a lot of sense. For me, outside of musicians, I don't manually follow anyone else outside of Facebook Friends which is done automatically. 

Also side note, cool how you mentioned me with the @! Have no idea how you did that... 

Hey there @chris_l_wong,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

The Friend Activity can sometimes experience minor delays, but if it’s not updated in over a week the following can help fix it:

• Check the app is up-to-date.
  • Check your device’s operating system is up-to-date.
  • Perform a clean reinstall. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.
    Note: You'll need to redownload any offline music after reinstalling.

Also - does this occur on one specific device or multiple devices?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy, 

Thank you for reaching out. 

Yes the issue has been going on for some time now which is unfortunate, definitely more than a week. 

• I keep my Windows up to date always! I love updates!
  • I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with Spotify updates, rebooting as soon as I see the blue dot. 
  • I have previously cleared the cache to no avail. 
  • I have previously done a clean re-install to no avail. 
  • I have just turned on my laptop, and the issue appears there too. 

Hey again @chris_l_wong,

Thank you for getting back to me 🙂

Can you try with another internet connection to see if the issue persists?

Cheers 🙂

JeremyModerator

Hi Jeremy, 

I did use my laptop in the library earlier today and as we've seen, nothing has changed? 

I can confirm that my internet I'm using is working! As I'm writing this I am working on an online document, and Spotify is playing in the background. 🙂

Hey @chris_l_wong,

Thank you for your reply.

Even though your internet is working, it would be good if you can try with another internet connection.

If that doesn't do the trick - can you let us know which version of the app you have?

Cheers 🙂

JeremyModerator

Hi Jeremy, 

I just went on my phone with Data on and WiFi off and checked my Profile Following list, and I am still following old Facebook Friends. 

The main computer in question is on version: 1.1.46.916.g416cacf1 (Microsoft Store version)

Hey @chris_l_wong,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Keep in mind that as @Jeremy mentioned, it might take a week or so for the friends feed to update. In the meantime could you try right-clicking on the people in the bar on the right in the app and then selecting Unfollow? That should also have the desired effect. 

Keep us posted. We’ll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Mihail, 

Thank you for your message. 

I'll wait, and get back to you guys this time next week! 

Hi Mihail, 

Just wanted to follow-up as promised. 🙂

It's been a couple weeks. Unfortunately the issue is still persisting. 

Hi there @chris_l_wong,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Did you try to right click > Unfollow the profiles of the friends you don't want to follow and see the activity of anymore? You should be able to do this from the side panel of the app.

Just wanted to add another note here - you can't manage who follows your account, only who you're following. So even if you remove someone from Facebook they may still follow you on Spotify.

Let us know how it goes.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex, 

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. 

Yes I have previously managed to use the Unfollow tool for Facebook friends, however this is not an ideal situation, as in this case, I am also under the impression that my new Facebook friends are not being added. This is more of a band-aid fix, to the real underlying issue of Facebook not syncing with Spotify. 

Thank you for letting me know in regards to who follows me. 

Are there any other ways I am able to escalate this issue? 

Hi @chris_l_wong,

In order for the app to automatically add your newly added Facebook friends to your Spotify friends lists both you and them need to have permitted the connection between Spotify and Facebook and the access to data.

If your friends have not allowed the necessary Permissions on their Spotify account they won't be added to your Friends list.

Hope this clears things up 🙂 Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex, 

Thank you for this additional knowledge, fair point! 

However, I am afraid this does not solve the initial problem. 

Where can I go from here? Is there any other way I could escalate my issue? 

Hey @chris_l_wong,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

In general users can still follow you even if you're not friends on Facebook anymore. Additionally, new friends on Facebook can only be automatically added if they have the mentioned permissions allowed. We hope this clears things a bit.

If there are no changes, you could check with a friend or two if they have these permissions allowed and then wait a week or so to see if it syncs up. It's also a good idea to try unfriending them on Facebook, allowing the permissions and then become friends on Facebook again. 

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, you know where to find us. 

Ver Moderator

Suggested posts