Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Family Account Causes Songs Played from Amazon Echo to be Played From My Account

Family Account Causes Songs Played from Amazon Echo to be Played From My Account

Hi, this issue has been happening for about 2 years, since I’ve had premium. I only just decided to contact the community about the issue because it has become especially prominent in the past few weeks. 
The title says it all - my family shares a family account plan (and yes, each account is separate), yet any time a song is played from an Amazon Echo device, Spotify assumes it was me that played the song and

A) takes it into account when generating recommended songs, and

B) stops whatever I’m playing and replaces it with whatever is being played from the Echo.

It’s probably not necessary to say that this gets annoying extremely quickly. I’ve done some troubleshooting, checking which accounts are linked to Alexa, resetting my account on every device it’s linked to, etc, etc. 

It turns out that my account isn’t even the one linked to Alexa - that would be my dad’s - and still, mine is the one chosen to have all of these issues. Since the only connection between my dad’s and my account is that we’re both using the same family plan, it has to do something with that. I just haven’t been able to tell what exactly has gone wrong or how to fix it.

Any help is very appreciated!

6 Replies

Hey there @kuw32-_e75g9o,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

It sounds odd that this is happening when your account is not connected to the Amazon account logged in on the speaker.

We'd recommend starting with following the steps here to log out everywhere and clicking here to reset your passord. 

It's also a good idea to double check that your account is not linked to the Amazon one and revoking access here.

Keep us in the loop here.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

There are a gazillion people with a similar problem and probably there are multiple causes. In my case I figured out it's a limitation of the design. We have a family account so we can use one account for the Echo, one account for Sonos and one each on our mobiles. That way, me playing music in the car doesn't stop my wife listening on the Echo in the kitchen. But it turns out if you do this, you can't control the Echo from Spotify on your phone because they're on different accounts. Once I put them both back to the same account, the Echo showed up again in the device list. But now I have the old problem again that the Echo can't play at the same time as my phone.

Hey @DarrenReynolds

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. We'll do our best to help you sort this out.

We'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is more thorough than a regular one and will ensure that there are no damaged files causing issues. You can also reinstall the Alexa app.

If this doesn't do the trick, could you try using a different network to see if the issue persists? 

Keep us in the loop. We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hello Novy,

is there a solution to setup a Spotify Familiy account on Alexa?

I can't find a solution.

See: 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Amazon-Echo-Play-multiple-Speakers-at-the-same-Time/idi-...

Or

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Amazon-Alexa-Swap-Spotify-accounts-without-changing-Alex... 

I also just bought 6 Echo devices and I can't set it up that every family member can play from their account without losing the common Alexa Smarthome environment.

rgds

Frank

Hey @DAUNIRAM

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

At the moment, there isn't any feature that allows you to swap the accounts in a Family Plan to play on Alexa. Since only one Spotify account can be linked to Alexa at a time, we'd recommend having separate Amazon accounts on each device. 

You can also add your +VOTE and Subscribe to this thread. That way you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let us know. 

Have a good one.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hello Novy,

sorry, but your suggestion is not a possible solution

1. My two kids do not have an Amazon accounts, only my wife has an own Amazon account, and in addition I can only add one adult account to my Amazon Family household.
  2. If my kids would use own Amazon accounts they would not be part of the same Alexa smart home environment anymore. Can’t control our smart home. Can’t communicate to each other anymore via Alexa.

As you can see from the over 1000 other Spotify users this is a problem of your customers. Please listen to the voice of your customers.

I am sure that with the current technology it should be able to solve this problem.

Amazon has shown that it is possible with Amazon Family Music.

Thanks and best regards

Frank

Suggested posts