NEXT STEP

Family Premium: Living under the same roof or not

Family Premium: Living under the same roof or not

Plan

Family Premium

Country

Germany/Greece

My Question or Issue

I'm a user of the Family-subscription and can't understand why you want to track the location via GPS to continue offering me a "Premium discount"?

I pay for the family plan and it should not matter where my family lives. Will you cancel my account if my family gets too far from each other?

Some families don't live together, but they still are family. They might work abroad, study or like to travel.

If you wanted more individual accounts maybe you should have considered if you should introduce the family plan or not.

Don't force your customers to cancel their subscriptions.

22 Replies

Hey @eruthros93, and welcome to the community.

Hope you're doing great! 

I understand your concern, but people on the Premium for Family plan must reside at the same physical address. There's more info in the Terms of this plan here.

No worries though, I'll make sure to pass your feedback onto the right folks.

Let me know if you have any more questions 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

So, if I had bought my Spotify Family Subscription at some point in the past while we all lived under the same address, and then someone moved out to another city/country, would you remove the subscription from us/that person?

I really don't understand the logic behind it.

So 5 people who are not family, but friends or strangers, wouldn't be able to pledge 3 € each to pay for a Spotify subscription? If yes, then the people who came up with Family subscription idea should have considered this outcome, and they should have also considered that there will be people who would want to use the Family subscription legitimate, but nevertheless cannot live under the same roof.

I was just about to buy a family premium when I read about these "terms and conditions".

I am divorced and my kids live half the time with my ex wife and half the time with me. Am I eligible for family subscribtion? I think sharing GPS data is a stupid kind of confirmation and is i.... What could I do to take advantage on the family plan discount or I'm **bleep** because I divorced few years ago?!?!

Hey @drkalo2009,

Thanks for posting your question in the Community 🙂

Unfortunately it currently isn't possible to share the Family plan with someone who does not live in the same household.

There is an existing idea in the Community which you can add your vote to here. This is the best way to provide your feedback to Spotify. If the idea gets enough votes, then Spotify will consider implementing it in the future.

Hope that helps! Let us know if there's anything else we can help with 😉

This living under the same roof thing.......sucks

Just a heads up, Amazon offers similiar music service family plan that doesn't require location restrictions.  If you guys want to really push this, its going to force people to Amazon in this niche.  Be careful or you stand to lose some business.  It's going to be tough for streaming services in the future with all the options.  Wake up Spotify and listen to your customers (some of us loyal for years).  What we do with  the accounts we pay for should be up to us, despite location.  Feel free to enforce this but it won't get you more individual subs, it will you get you people leaving for Amazon.  Consider yourselves warned!  

Hmmm. Interesting that Amazon Music has a comparable service without the silly address tracking/restriction. I'm pretty plugged into the Amazon ecosystem and Spotify works pretty wonky on devices like the Echos anyway. 

Very, very seriously considering dropping Spotify over this geo-tracking nonsense and just moving to Amazon Music.

Sorry to see you doing this, Spotify. I really do want to stay with you all if all else were equal but no other streaming services are doing this invasive and aggressive location tracking (if you're concerned about account sharing, as others have said, why even bother with the family plan? Every other streamer accepts it as a cost of doing business). I don't love you enough to put up with that.

Does Spotify really verify that you live at the same address? How do they do that if you don't give them location permission? They infer location based on your IP address/internet provider? Or is it an honor system?

I agree I have a step son who doesn't live with me and I pay for 6 people to use my account please chnage this!

I'm divorcing and want to take a subscription for me and my daugther, she lives with her mom and ask me to pay for this. So do you recommend to pay or better look for another service?

Greetings from México.

Hey there @tonatiuhmx,

Thank you for your post in this thread.

If your daughter stays with you at times and her mother at times - you can have that subscription. 

By the way - if it's only you and her you can have a look over here under Premium Duo.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I absolutely recommend Spotify 100%! I'm sorry to hear about your divorce.
Greetings!

I was just looking this up to see if this has changed and can't believe this is something that Spotify still enforces. I figured Spotify would eventually figure out how dumb this model is and change, but since it's not getting wise, now I'm definitely going search for Spotify alternatives because of this. For a digital services company, I'm surprised at how archaic their concept of a family plan is compared to so many other digital companies out there. 

Spotify: You can take music anywhere...as long as it's not regularly outside of your household's physical address.

Hey there @Kayashi

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

We can confirm that Premium Family is a discount plan for up to 6 family members who live together. 

However, you can use the app wherever you want as long as you live at the same address as the owner and members. 

If you need help with anything else, just let us know.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

What right does Spotify thinks it has to obtain my address anyway?

Do these guys understand the word "privacy"?

Hi, I'd like to take out a family account and have 2 children who are currently at or will be going to University soon. Will my plan be cancelled down the line if they are using the Spotify account from University, despite their permanent address still being at our home address where the account will be registered?

Hey @lukecoakham,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community!

As @Eni pointed above, after your member accounts have been properly verified, they can take advantage of the Spotify Premium service everywhere they go. The management of the plan's payments, the members' invitations/removals as well as the family's address settings, remain however only at the disposal of the Family subscription's owner. More information on how to start or join a Family plan is described pretty well here.  And for more precise explanations on how the address verification for the plan works - check this support article here.  

Hope you find this info useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

ok

Based on the content in the support articles that you linked, I don't think you understand the core issue that we are describing in this thread. I have 4 adult, immediate family members who have live at 3 different home addresses that are not the same as mine - but they're still family. Why does it matter whether we live at the same home address? Spotify is a digital product, capable of operating around the globe, during a time when people can work for a company in Canada while living in Singapore. So why should it matter whether or not your family members share the same physical home address?  If you don't want our families to save some money by bundling subscriptions, then just call it what it is...it's not a family plan, it's a "single home plan". Or better yet, make it a real family plan like pretty much every mobile phone network provider in the US.

Also, you mention that the family's address settings are at the disposal of the subscription owner, and that address verification is based on what the other family members input into the form. But everyone in this thread knows that there are many incidents where Spotify has punished family plan subscription owners for sharing with family outside of their home address by deactivating their accounts.

Suggested posts