Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Family Premium multiple devices playing own music simultaneously

Solved!

Family Premium multiple devices playing own music simultaneously

Have added via email invite family members to Premium Family account but they cant play their own music simultaneously (still only one device at a time) as advertised - any suggestions welcome.

48 Replies

I have this problem too. I have a separate account which is part of a family premium subscription and whenever I am playing a song on my PS3 and another family member starts playing a song from their own account on the Echo it kicks me off and vice versa.

This is extremely frustrating. You pay extra for premium family so that when your daughter is listening at school she shuts off your music for your clients at work? You must address this problem 

Hey @Koda_tiny

If all members use the same login information in their devices, your music will cutoff like it has been happening to you.

Each family member has to have a separate username and password, so the first step is to create new accounts for each new member (if they haven't already).

I suggest creating it with an email address (not the one used for Facebook, if possible), since they'll be able to get a Spotify username / password. Using Facebook will not let you do that.

Each member will now have a Free account, so the next step is for them to join your Family plan through your account (You're the one who pays, so you'll be the Family Admin).

Send the invites to the emails they used to create their accounts.

Let them accept the invite logged in with their own username in the app and in the website. They should make sure to type the address exactly as the Admin did when he created the Family Plan, and also be sure all Family members use the same Internet connection (Home network) regularly.

Each will be able to listen to music at the same time, and will have separate libraries, playlists and friends.

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi,

I’m in the same boat. My husband created his own account and it will not let us listen to our own music. It will kick me off when he starts his music. 

I know you said something about going somewhere to change the setting to offline but I’m not sure where that is. Can you help?

Thank you!

We had to log off even delete the ap for my husband and daughter and sign them up with their own account and their own password as if they were a new customer but then it is linked to me because I invited them to join and our addresses are the same. I mistakenly had them logging in with my username and password. They'll need their own. Then everyone can play different music at the same time. It was quite confusing getting started. I hope this makes sense.

Kim

Hi, we are logged in as different users but still have the problem.

Thats kind of the point though, you can not use multiple accounts with Alexa (or any other whole home audio solution for that matter).  There is only the option to assign one account to the system setup, regardless of the number of devices you have.

I know your not a Spotify employee so this comment is more directed at Spotify and not you.  Spotify needs to allow mulitple streams on all associated accounts until your reach 5 streams total on all associated accounts for the Family Plan.  Its simply not worth the cost ortherwise.

Amazon Music does not have this limiation.  I want to make this very clear to Spotify, I dropped my Spotify Family account and switched to Amazon Music for this single reason.  I will not be giving Spotify another penny until they figgure this out.

This explanation was a bit confusing, does the administrator of the family send email invites to family first in order for them to create their own logins or do they have to create their own account first somewhere in order to be invited?  What's the precise order of the steps?

Hey @ndreyno

Both are possible, but I'd recommend for them to create a Free account, before trying to join a Family plan.

I suggest creating it with an email address (not the one used for Facebook, if possible), since they'll be able to get a Spotify username / password. Using Facebook will not let you do that.

Each member will now have a Free account, so the next step is for them to join your Family plan through your account (You're the one who pays, so you'll be the Family Admin).

Send the invites to the emails they used to create their accounts.

Let them accept the invite logged in with their own username in the app and in the website. They should make sure to type the address exactly as the Admin did when he created the Family Plan, and also be sure all Family members use the same Internet connection (Home network) regularly.

Each will be able to listen to music at the same time, and will have separate libraries, playlists and friends.

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts