Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Followed link on Spotify, clicked premium, and NOW I discover it costs more...?!?

Followed link on Spotify, clicked premium, and NOW I discover it costs more...?!?

Hello - I'm in th UK and a Spotify Unlimited customer who's had an 'Upgrade to Premium' banner at the top of my application for a looong time. On a whim, I clicked it today and it took me to a Spotify webpage that suggested I upgrade to all of the benefits of Spotify Premium. It did *not* say this would cost more money, so I presumed that all would be explained on the 'next' page... which I could only access by checking the box...

Anyway, I checked the box, it informed me that I now had upgraded to Premium... and they'd be taking £9.99 from me. 

WTF, Spotify? Because I can see no button to 'downgrade' back to my Unlimited account... and a little bit of research shows that you no longer offer an 'Unlimited Service'.

Have I just been scammed by a company? If so, shame on you - because I can't even begin to imagine it's legal in a European country to take money for a subscription without explaining the terms first.

Anyone else able to confirm whether I've got this right or not?

Thanks in advance. 

Robert

3 Replies

Hey @rdt51372

Sorry to hear about this!

I suggest you contact support so they can help you. They might be able to help you get back on the legacy Unlimited plan.

https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks, Matt, for your response. (I'm still grrrrrr-ing at this end at having been conned like this.)

This exact thing happened to my wife couple of days ago, and I wrote to Spotify support and the response was pretty arrogant "yea you can't get it back, here is 2 months free premium". That offer is not good at all, considering it was a total misclick. It wasn't like "I tried it for a while and didn't like it so I want my old subscription back" but "I didn't mean to do that, my does that button do that without any confirmation needed".

I'm very disappointed in the way they handled this. Because in this case there is no use for Premium features, I'm not going to pay double for the same thing that was earlier just because of a small human mistake by a conning website.

Suggested posts