Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Force to accept timeline?!?

Force to accept timeline?!?

Why would spotify force me to "upgrade" my facebook to timeline?

Timeline is horrible.

7 Replies

I agree, letting others know what I'm listening to should be my choice, being enforced to broadcast it makes me think about unsubscribing.

How is Spotify forcing you to choose Timeline?  I've never seen that happen before - I know Facebook is trying to push everyone to go to Timeline, you can just ignore it.  I haven't switched to Timeline, and I have my Spotify connected to Facebook.  I'm curious as to what it is you saw that made you think it was Spotify that did this.

As far as sharing everything you listen to on Facebook, this is easy to turn off.  Open Spotify, and go to the preferences (Edit -> Preferences on Windows, Spotify -> Preferences on Mac), and uncheck the box labeled "Show what I listen to on Facebook."

Hi jvanderb,

today, as I opened Spotify, a window poped up saying something like "activate timeline on facebook", and my only options were "Log out of facebook" or "activate timeline". Clicking on other parts of the screen didn't do anything, and there was no option to cancel or close the window, nor I could do any other action on spotify like playing a playlist.

My solution was to accept the facebook timeline thing and then go to facebook and reject the permission for spotify app to publish anything on my timeline.

I'm using Spotify under Ubuntu.

That is odd...I've never seen that happen before.  Maybe a Spotify employee can answer that, but I'd be a bit annoyed if I had to switch to timeline too.  I'm sure Facebook is eventually going to force everyone to do it eventually anyway - Facebook never listens to anyone so they do whatever they want usually.  Until that happens, I'm not switching to timeline!  I wonder - is there a way to switch back once you've gone to timeline?

Most of the newer functionality that Spotify has with Facebook works primarily with Timeline - Primarily the "Activity Log" Music section. However, you should be able to click on a check box saying "No Thanks" if the "Activity Timeline on Facebook" box appears.
Airhorn Enthusiast

I was also forced to convert to timeline. And while I could wait to publish it, I was told that on April 4 my timeline would be published, regardless. 

I'm furious. Timeline is trash. 

Regardless of what the opinion is about the Facebook timeline, Facebook is making the timeline mandatory for all users.  This has got nothing to do with Spotify either.  For more information, here is an article that discusses Facebook's timeline being mandatory for all users:

http://www.connecttristates.com/news/story.aspx?id=735440#.T3NLcI5Nv0M

Suggested posts