Country

Turkey

Device

(>Google Pixel 3)

Operating System

(Android)

Capture.JPG

My Question or Issue

I am getting notifications from Spotify that they cannot charge through my mobile payment and premium will be cancelled.

So I try to renew my premium subscription, but now Spotify says I cannot renew premium single, and I have to subscribe as premium duo.

Why do I HAVE to pay for duo while I do not need to?

9 Replies

Hi there @SarpKoknar,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Can you try from an incognito/private window to see if the issue persist?

Another useful step to try is to use a different internet connection.

If that doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you wait until your on our free version and then re-subscribe to Premium Individual.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I had this exact issue when I was prompted to enter a new card because my cards changed. I entered my new credit card information and the only option was to subscribe to duo. I didn't notice that until I hit enter on my card info though. 😕 Immediately was charged for duo. Seems shady that duo was the only option when it prompted me just to fix my card information.

Hey @TheBeerBurglar,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

We appreciate the feedback you shared. When you update the payment info, the system should keep the same type of subscription you had.

In case that the system suggests a different subscription, we’d recommend you to follow the previous instructions sent by @Jeremy.

However, if the subscription was already changed because of this issue, we’d suggest contacting our Support team so they can look into your account, check what happened and help you further.

If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey folks! Just wanted to make a small clarification in this thread. 

When you already have a Premium subscription, the right steps to update your payment method and keeping the same subscription can be found here. This change needs to be done directly from your account page after logging in our website. You can also use this direct link to update your payment method only. 

Keep in mind that going to the regular Premium site www.spotify.com/premium is meant to start NEW subscriptions. This is why no option to subscribe to the plan you already have shows up in there as you're not getting a new subscription. You only need to update the payment details which can be done with the steps I just shared above. 

We understand why this could be a bit confusing from the user's point of view and will make sure to pass the feedback to the right team. However, we hope this help you understand that Spotify doesn't force you to choose a different subscription, it's just that the regular Premium site isn't the right place to update the payment details while keeping the same subscription. 

Have a great day! 

JulianModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Same here, I didn't notice till I hit enter and now I'm mad that it happened 

Julian!

This worked! Thank you so much!

Hey @Joshuafnboyer,

Thank you for joining the conversation and welcome.

We're glad to know that it works for you. We appreciate the time you took following the steps and posting that the previous process did the trick.

In case you need anything else, the Community is just a post away.

Cheers!

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey Threaders! I've had this problem for SO long with Spotify and they don't seem to want to ACTUALLY fix it... The only way I've found to fix this in the past is to cancel Spotify premium (from your main Spotify account page) and then subscribe again. 

It's not a perfect system, but it really doesn't take as long as you would think. 

At least it takes less time than what feels like yelling into the Spotify void for eternity...

I am furious, I've just realized this is what happened to me, and I've been paying for Duo FOR NO REASON FOR 2 YEARS NOW.

Between this, the awful new Desktop Spotify Client UI you've just pushed, and all these other ridiculous, counter-productive changes, I'm starting to wonder why I bother with this junk.

Suggested posts