Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Frequency/Quality of ads

Frequency/Quality of ads

As one of the many unlimited users who is suddenly receiving annoying ads on mobile (streaming radio), I hate them. I get that you've got to pay the bills and such, and maybe having 3 pricing tiers is overkill, but I find these ads far too frequent and repetive.

Problems:

+ Radio features 2 or more ads after every 2 songs. That's more than broadcast radio.

+ The ads are advertising a service which is lesser than the one I am paying for. I don't care about the Free service when I'm paying $5/month.

+ The ads advertise the same thing again and again and again.

+ The ads are too loud compared to the music

Lastly, pricing for "no ads" seems elevated. For example, all I use mobile for is radio. At least, used to. The ads are so repulsive and frequent that I find the entire experience frustrating and unsatisfying. I could pay an extra $5/month to remove the ads on mobile, but then I'm just paying $5 for uninterputted radio. There's another app that already does that and is cheaper you.

8 Replies

Hey there!

Thanks for the feedback - I've moved it over here in another forum section, since it's more a general feedback than a request for a single feature. I'm afraid there's not much to do about the frequency of the ads.

However there are already a couple of ideas about improving ads here:

Allow users to give ads feedback

Customizable Adverts

Turn down the volume of ads

Also with Premium you get more advantages than ads-free listening:

Make your playlists available offline, higher sound quality, Use the new Spotify Connect

Unfortunately @Marco is correct here. 

When Spotify launched the new mobile/tablet free service a few weeks ago, the ad-free mobile radio with unlimited in the USA was withdrawn. Ad-free listening of any type on mobile and tablets now requires a Premium subscription I'm afraid. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I've moved it over here in another forum section, since it's more a general feedback than a request for a single feature

Thanks for moving this to the right spot.

I'm afraid there's not much to do about the frequency of the ads.

Ha! Funny thing about building products, you actually have total control over everything. Willingness notwithstanding.

You ought to at least model your ad rotation after tried and true broadcast radio practices. Every 6-8 minutes is excessive, especially when you hear the same ad every time. For a product that is free. When you're a paying member. Yeah.

I don't find the frequency too bad, what is appaling is the quality of the ads.

It wouldn't hurt to curate them a bit. If I am listening to Bruce Springsteen what are the chances of me being interested (and also not annoyed) by blarring ads for Skrillex.

Also they are so repetetive, I can't take to here the same ad over and over 100 times a day.

Since Spotify make so much more money from the Premium service, I wouldn't be surprised if "annoyance factor" is a conversion technique.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I agree with you and what this user also said but Spodify(ttps://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Allow-users-to-give-ads-feedback/idi-p/511498) and they  just dismissed it because "not enough people responded".  Total **bleep** if you ask me!  Even if I had the money, I would not pay for thier services because of how they don't care really about the listener.  Today, I literally threw a dish across the room in anger because of this very issue.  Like a monkey in a cage and that's how I feel like when I hear these repetative cammercials(sounds like I am talking out of my you know what but it's the truth)!  BUT the music can't be beat.  I have never heard so many wonderful songs and different varities.  But those commmercials make me want to give up the whole thing all together and never listen  to them ever again even though I've devoted a lot of time to make my playlist.  I think I'd rather start somewhere else........

OK I came here to find a sullution but your idea to "turn it down" is totally unrealistic since I literally don't even have time to even sit down to a cup of coffee let alone turn the annoying adds down ever 5 seconds since they are played at literally at every song! Busy parent of 2 girls.  There isn't enough time in the day to turn down adds when they ring in my ear literally every 5 minutes.   Even if I had the money,  I'd never buy the premium and it's because of that very reason.  Annoy people a little less and you might find that people will be more than willing to shell out their hard earned money to you.

Keeping this one going.

Totally agree. More ads than FM. Not only that, but they come up with the most annoying ads ever except for "KARS for Kids" which will probably never be beaten. That one where the guy keeps skipping songs, like he keeps saying "next" and then he settles on some garbage that I honestly don't believe ANYONE would like. Spotify is very good at making commercials that get your attention because they are jarring (music, not, music, not, music, whatever). But the commercials aren't effective as far as I'm concerned because they are some of the most annoying commercials I've ever heard, and rather than pay Spotify money, all they do is make me angry. And I've just uninstalled Spotify again - I only recently started using it again after a hiatus.

Oh, and I just had to click some images to verify I'm not a robot even though I'm logged into my account. Really respectful of the user, Spotify! Bravo! (Hopefully the sarcasm there comes across properly.)  And hey, it made me do that process a second time even though it took me maybe 20 seconds to add this paragraph. They think that somehow, in those 20 seconds, I might have turned into a robot!

Suggested posts