Step 1

NEXT STEP

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Galaxy 10

My Question or Issue

Why would spotify need to know gender at all???  I think asking it is wrong and needs to be removed.

8 Replies

Hey @vb04i9zdfeluej0, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this. I'll make sure to pass your feedback onto the right folks.

If you want Spotify to look into it, you can always create a new Idea about it here.

I hope this helps 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

You dont work for spotify.. you're a glorified kool aid drinker.  Your words are empty.  

Spotify has already had multiple suits of sexism against them.  They need to remove the question now.

Hey @vb04i9zdfeluej0,

Peter from the Spotify Community Mod team here.

Thanks for your feedback on this - we appreciate it.

As @Billy-J mentioned, the best way for your feedback to reach Spotify is by creating an idea in our Idea Exchange. Once you've created the idea, feel free to post it here so that other users can find it easily and add their vote to it.

Also, we just wanted to confirm that our Rock Stars are, as you said not employees of Spotify. However, they are some of the most active users in the Community and they are passionate about helping out other users.

Let us know if you have any further questions! We'll be right here 🙂

Good gods man!  It's not an idea, it's a question.  You folks are all zombified.  Can I get someone who matters to see this?  

vb04i9zdfeluej0  wrote:

"Why would spotify need to know gender at all???"

and then wrote:

"It's not an idea, it's a question."

I don't work for Spotify, but I will offer an educated guess as to one reason they ask for gender in the user profile.

Targeted ads, Dude.

How do you think they make money from the free accounts?

Advertising revenue.

And in order to sell advertising, they have to be able to target the ads to the user. And that means knowing each user's gender.

Asking about gender is inherently sexist.  In a world and free market that is increasingly trying to support the queer and gender fluid community, forcing users to give any gender data at all is wrong.  If you were willing to put banners for BLM and Asian hate awareness, why are you throwing the LGBTQ+ community under the bus? If the goal is targeted ads I'll have you know, my gender has no bearing on the products and services I'm interested.  Spot being bigots and remove this requirement, and for gods sake, just answer OPs question!

I feel like Spotify should include an 'other' gender option for those of us that don't go by either female or male.

There is now a 'non-binary' option as well

Suggested posts