Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Giftcard and NUS

Solved!

Giftcard and NUS

I tried contacting Spotify about this but it seems their approach to customer service is to send you an automated email that essential boils down to 'Thanks for wasting your time emailing us, we're not going to bother reading it or responding. Try our FAQs or see if another customer can help you on the forums.'

Basically I want to use a gift card to purchase premium whilst also getting the NUS student discount but I can't see any way of doing this.

If I go to the redeem page (/uk/redeem/) I can pay by gift card but can't see any mention of student discount.

If I go to the subscription page (/uk/account/subscription) I can pay using the gift card but can't see any mention of student discount.

If I go to the student discount page (/uk/student/pay/) I can get student discount but can't pay by gift card.

Is this intentional or an oversight by Spotify?

If intentional surely this is a complete scam? How can you justify charging someone more because they are using a giftcard? I have a £30 giftcard which £30 was paid for, why should this be able to buy me less than £30 cash? Why punish people for commiting to spend money with you?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hmm, so you're both paying for Spotify subscriptions, i.e. 2x £9.99 a month?

If so, we don't have any phone support right now, but if you send us an email via this link, one of our support team can help track down the other account.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hey there, the way NUS discounts are setup means it's only possible to have them applied to regular monthly subscriptions. You're free to redeem the gift card as normal and it won't affect your NUS discount at all (you'll still have the same number of discounted months), but there's no way of redeeming a 3-month giftcard for 6 months of discounted Premium. Sorry!

So when purchasing the gift card my mother might as well have put £15 in the bin?

I have never heard of any company charging people more for using a giftcard, that is completely unethical and if this were common place nobody would purchase giftcards. Certainly if your giftcards advertised 'redeemable for 50% of purchase price for students' nobody in their right mind would buy them.

I guess I will return the giftcard and keep the cash instead.

Well done Spotify, you've lost yourself a customer.

You can't return gift cards - they're non refundable unless there's an issue redeeming them, so have fun with that 🙂

It's pretty obvious that gift cards are as-is - it says 1 month premium, you get one month premium  @mitch0 , so I don't understand what the issue is.

You're getting what it said you're getting. When I wanted Spotify premium as a gift, I just told my Mum to give me the cash, and I put it towards the premium cost every month - that way it goes towards the premium and the offer.

Also, for future reference, if you get an automated reply from the support form directing you back to the community, just reply to it for it to go to the customer services team.

Liam

The detail is in the small print, which as normal no one bothers to read....

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I've read the small print and it gives you a pricelist for the various products but does state the giftcard cannot be used in conjunction with student discount.

The giftcard is also labeled as £30 rather than being for a specific subscription. It could be argued that this constitues to false advertising as I am unable to get £30 worth of product for this, in which case a store would be required by law to accept a return on this.

Link: https://www.spotify.com/gift-card/

The first point is the normal "gift cards have no cash value" statement which almost all providers include. 

Terms and conditions

• The card and PIN can only be redeemed for certain Spotify products and services as described below, and cannot be redeemed for cash, and cannot be returned or resold (except where required by law).
  • In order to redeem the PIN, you will be required to register as a Spotify member and you must be at least 13 years old.
  • The PIN can be redeemed at www.spotify.com/redeem or if you are already a Spotify member, within your Spotify account.
  • The PIN must be activated within 12 months from the date of purchase, which date is stated on your paper sales receipt.
  • This PIN can be redeemed for a choice of Spotify Premium, Spotify Unlimited and Spotify Downloads, details of which can be found atwww.spotify.com/redeem.
  • Depending on the country, Spotify Gift Cards can be redeemed for either Spotify Premium, Spotify Unlimited or Spotify Downloads
  • Use of the Spotify Service is governed by all applicable Spotify Terms and Conditions, which can be found at www.spotify.com.
  • You must accept all of the aforementioned conditions in order to redeem the PIN and use the Spotify Service.
  • The full value of this card is deducted at PIN redemption. No incremental deductions are allowed and no change is given.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Adam,

Do you work for Spotify before I start asking you questions!!

Thanks,

Amanda

Hey @Manda90210 -- yep, I do, so feel free to ask away! 

Adam,

I have resolved the issue re the nus discount using tips from other posts above, I am however still having difficulties in locating a contact number to resolve an issue with payments for my subscription, my partner does not have a spotify account but does have a card on my paypal account and we are both being charged for my subscription, he has just noticed it, but looking back it has been going out for over a year. I am unsure what to do at this stage.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Marked as solution

Hmm, so you're both paying for Spotify subscriptions, i.e. 2x £9.99 a month?

If so, we don't have any phone support right now, but if you send us an email via this link, one of our support team can help track down the other account.

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the information, I have sent the request.

Suggested posts