Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Gmail email "dot" doppelgänger

Gmail email "dot" doppelgänger

Here's a funny one for you:

So I have a spotify account, but there is some spanish dude that for some reason insists his email to be the same as mine but with a single dot in it e.g. i<name>@gmail.com / i.<name>@gmail.com. He uses that email all around the internets, unintentionally causing me some mild grief.

At one point I even got his twitter account as he didn't want to disassociate it from my email and there was no other way for me to create my own.

You see, I thought every developer already knows this, but gmail considers *snip* and *snip* to be the same email. This has been the case for as long as gmail has been a thing. 

But it appears spotify _doesn't_ know this as I still recieve promo emails at the i.<name>@gmail.com on my i<name>@gmail.com address. Short of sending it to every spam rporting agency and banning it myself I see no recourse or escape.

I would appreciate any help or advice.

1 Reply

Hey @ivank7

Thanks for posing in the Spotify Community. In this case if you send a note over to Spotify's Support teams they'll be happy to take a look at this for you. 

For this particular case, I would encourage you to reach out to support through the anonymous contact form. So long as you are entirely logged out of Spotify.com (alternatively, you can access the form through an incognito window/private browsing) the form will allow you to use an email of your choosing for correspondence. Please ensure that this is an email that has not been compromised and that you still have access to it!

If you would prefer to not use the contact form, or require an alternative means of contact, you can always reach out to @SpotifyCares on twitter, or the Spotify Cares Facebook page.
I hope this helps!

Suggested posts