Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Home with Family Subscription

Google Home with Family Subscription

Spotify family accounts (except for the main account) do not work on Google Home. When Google Home is instructed to play music on Spotify, it will attempt to do so, but after a few seconds of silence, it will say "sorry, something went wrong...". The problem goes away when Google Home is linked to the main Spotify account.

When can a fix be expected for this please?

21 Replies

This is broken for me as well -- just says "Sorry, something went wrong" -- very frustrating... I also have Alexa and she never lets me down on spotify!

This also happens when linked to our main account. Super frustrating.

I am the main admin of the family and it doesnt work either.... help how can i fix it

I'm experiencing the same thing with our Spotify family account.  My wife listens to Spotify at home on our Google Home device but while I'm at work, I can't listen to Spotify without interrupting her.  I am the admin our Spotify family account, which is linked to my Gmail account and she is one of the family Spotify users.  The only way we've been able to get around this is to have her iPhone stream music from the Spotify app directly, which defeats the purpose of having a voice interactive Google Home device.  Please fix this!

This is a joke!!!! Am now on the family premium supscription and cant use it with my GH!! This sh#t is down right discriminatory! My account is premium so what's the problem?!?!

Has there been any fix to this? I am still having this issue.

One work around I can think of is to create myself a profile as one of the family members and let the admin account be used only by Google Home. This ought to be fixed though so I don't have to do that.

They have to sort this out now that multiusers is available on the google home. If it knows my wife is asking then it should play from her account!

Edit: this is now fixed - see later posts.

I second this! I'm tired of getting kicked off when listening at work or in the car when my kids decide to listen on the Google Home at the same time. As a premium family subscriber, I expect much better!

Oh....it works now! The wife has managed to link her Spotify account (part of our family account) to the Google Home alongside mine. Works as I hoped it would.

I'm having exactly the same problem.
It seems like both sides are not interested on solving anything related. The first complain was in last December and we're still getting pissed everytime we try to use Spotify on Google Home. Can anyone help us?

I've managed to get this working somewhat. After running through all my playlists one by one and trying to get Google Home to play each one, I isolated the ones that failed ("sorry, something went wrong"), created new playlists with slightly different names, copied all the songs into the new playlist, then deleted the old playlist.

This is a stupid workaround (in that it's stupid that I had to do this) but so far I'm now able to access my playlists via Home.

Also, using the Shortcuts in Google assistant help to abstract away the name of the playlist.

How did you do this?

Google is saying only one account can be linked. Can you provide some walkthroughs?

How did you do it? We set up the different user profiles and spotify accounts, but when I start playback on one speaker it stops my wife's playback on another. 

Same issue here. I bought spotify premium as a gift to my girlfriend and she can't use it on Google Home, only my music. Very frustrating, please fix.

A solution may be to use Google Play instead.

So firstly have you managed to get multiusers to work on the Google Home? I.e. if you say "good morning" does it reply with your name if you ask and your other family members name if they ask?

Once that is sorted then it should just be a case of logging into the google home app on your wifes phone, going to media accounts and removing the spotify premium account that is there (seems it defaults to main user - although it doesn't actually say that) and instead link the correct account.

+1 for what Kev said.  This worked for me. Make sure each member of family has their voice registered with Home, and then from the Home app on each user's phone, connect to their spotify family account with individual login names. Done!

I got this working for me and my wife. You have to setup the Google Home for each person. Do this through the Google Home app. When you or your wife ask Google who you are, it should say your name. You also have to make sure Spotify is the default player for Google Home. I would like to see this expand for the kids. I have my kids on Google Home and it knows who they are but their Spotify accounts aren't loading up with they ask Google to play music. It's loading from my account which is annoying when your listening to it.

Yes.  Because the Google Home knows that you're Black/female/**bleep**/vegan/ginger/bald/a facking moron etc, and is discriminating against just you for that reason.

Grow a brain - it's a bug. 

Suggested posts