Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Got hijacked, how to secure my account? (Please add 2FA!)

Got hijacked, how to secure my account? (Please add 2FA!)

Just realized that my Spotify Family account was hijacked. Unknown people were added ("lol1234") and my address was changed to [snip - Community Moderator edit]. I logged-out all devices and set a new password. (I'm using a unique password)

Searching the community this seems to happen often.

My question is how to secure my account as Spotify doesn't offer 2FA?

Is it possible to get notified by email when an unknown device logs into my account?

Please be more suspicious when user address of family account changes to another country! (e.g. verification link by email)

6 Replies

Hi @marben 

Thanks for posting in the Community!

It's my understanding that Spotify does send a New Login email (I've just tested by using a private tab within my browser and I got it). Could you maybe check your spam for this email?

There's a useful article on how to protect your account, you can find that here.

And for the 2FA there is, in fact, a Live Idea for this which is currently under consideration you can find that here. I recommend you head on over to that idea and click VOTE to share your love for it!

Hope this helps!

I got hijacked by the same house address today, thankfully they hadn't added any accounts before I changed the password. 

Hey there @foxracing650,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community about this!

On top of updating your Spotify account's password, we'd also suggest heading to your account page and click SIGN OUT EVERYWHERE.

For more info on securing your account, make sure to take a look at the support site article @Tom shared above.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

you are right! I now received an e-mail information for a new login.  This is a sufficient security measure, sorry I must have missed it back then.

Honestly, referring to another post which has been dorment for over 2 years isnt much help Spotify. Please update the post you refer to and let us know when this basic security feature will be added.

Every basic app has 2FA these days. You're the global music streaming market leader, whats the hold-up Spotify? Whats the motive for not enabling it so far? Better Spotify usage stats? I have been using Spotify for years and love it, but will move to a different service if my account gets logged into by a stranger again.

Please enable 2FA to increase security ASAP. A overview of 'trusted/known' devices would also be a great addition imo. Thanks.

I know that you do not control what Spotify does/does not do. Could you please inform whomever may care about losing customers that if Spotify does NOT have 2fa by August 1st I will be cancelling my membership and going to @m@zon Prime music.

Thank you for listening and trying to help the community. It's too bad your company doesn't care as much as you do.

Suggested posts