Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Gray title problem on Spotify pc

Solved!

Gray title problem on Spotify pc

spotify problems.pngEnglish : 

Hello, my dear,
For some time now I have been experiencing a problem with my Spotify applications on my PC.
Before that all go for the better but now it is impossible for me to listen to certain titles. The titles are grey and not this spear. While on my mobile phone no problem. For information my Spotify web Player does not work too.

Thank you for your answers.

Francais : 

Bonjour,
Depuis quelques temps je rencontre un probleme de la part de mon applications Spotify sur mon pc.
Avant cela tout aller pour le mieux mais maintenant il est pour moi impossible d’écouter certains titres. Les titres sont gris et ne ce lance pas. Alors que sur mon telephone portable aucun probleme. Pour informations mon Spotify web Player ne fonctionne pas aussi.

Merci pour vos réponses.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, I found the solution on another recent thread (this will fix the issue for sure):

Hello,

I've been having a lot of trouble listening to spotify on desktop. I would have to reinstall spotify everytime i started the PC. Couldn't listen to songs i've never heard unless i did a fresh reinstall. After a while every playlist was empty. It was all a mess but someone here found a solution i would like to share.

Go to your host file and delete all entries you find for spotify:

1. Close spotify

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Open hosts file with notepad, or any other text editor

4. Delete any entry you find for spotify, for example:
0.0.0.0 spclient.wg.spotify.com

After this, save the hosts file, if you can't save it. Do "Save as" with another name, like "hosts_new", delete the old hosts file and rename the new file to just "hosts", and after that everything should go back to normal.
Hopefully that'll fix all of this headache on the desktop app for you!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey there @johan_meslet,

thanks for posting in the community !

Adding this help article on possible reasons why you can't seem to find music you're looking for or if the search comes up with greyed out songs.

On top of that, you can check the community Music FAQ's here for further info.

Hope this helps 😃

Hey, I see I'm not the only one having trouble with this... I'd like to know what's the problem as well and how to solve it. The only thing I've been doing is to uninstall the app until it gets buggy again. So, yeah, you may guess I'm constantly repeating the same process over and over getting to do it sometimes up to two times per day.

Hello, my dear,
After I had this embarrassing problem. I set up another account to see if it was a problem from my PC or not. And then with another FREE Spotify account it worked perfectly well the problem was settled. But I didn’t want to change my account because I had all my music on it. So the problem was my Spotify account, not the device. That’s it.
I would like to know if it is possible to (reset) his account to debugger this problem that comes from the Spotify account.
Thank you so much.

Hey @johan_meslet.

That's odd! Greyed out songs indicate songs that are not available in your region. If you mention that a different account has solved the issue for you, we recommend using your new account as there is no function to 'reset' an account. Sorry about that!

No worries, if you make sure your music collection is stored in public playlists, you can visit your old account with your new account and grab all your songs from there. You’ll be able to visit your old account by putting the following string in the search bar:  spotify:user:username

Don't forget to replace username with your old username. Oh and by the way, If you want to use the same email address for your new account, you'll have to close your old account. You'll have 7 days to visit your old account and find your music there. You’ll also need to cancel your subscription on your old account, in case you have a Premium account.

We hope you'd like to try this! It's a lot quicker than it might seem. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Marked as solution

Hey, I found the solution on another recent thread (this will fix the issue for sure):

Hello,

I've been having a lot of trouble listening to spotify on desktop. I would have to reinstall spotify everytime i started the PC. Couldn't listen to songs i've never heard unless i did a fresh reinstall. After a while every playlist was empty. It was all a mess but someone here found a solution i would like to share.

Go to your host file and delete all entries you find for spotify:

1. Close spotify

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Open hosts file with notepad, or any other text editor

4. Delete any entry you find for spotify, for example:
0.0.0.0 spclient.wg.spotify.com

After this, save the hosts file, if you can't save it. Do "Save as" with another name, like "hosts_new", delete the old hosts file and rename the new file to just "hosts", and after that everything should go back to normal.
Hopefully that'll fix all of this headache on the desktop app for you!

Oooohhh YES thank you,

That problem I had, it was really your excitement. Moreover I found no solution on forums or videos on the internet. I searched for a long time until the day I completely lost hope of finding a solution to my problem. I thought I was the only one who had this problem, and I actually didn’t. You really are saving life I thank you so much for your help.

I hope that this topic will help more than one person. In any case you have found the solution to this problem

Thank you so much. 😊👌

Suggested posts