Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Having trouble adding family member on my premium account

Solved!

Having trouble adding family member on my premium account

I have a premium account and I went on to "add member" and sent a link to my daughter. Right now she is, for some reason, on the "Spotify Free" even though I have been paying for Premium. Nevertheless, now that I have upgraded to Premium Family and sent her a link to her own personal e mail address(different to my spotify account), when she clicks on the link and puts in our home address the message she gets is

"You can't join your own plan" On her spotify account  her current plan is "spotify free"(she also got message: "you can't upgrade to Premium in the app...") Def frustrating and I'm not sure if you can use the same technology as perhaps, Netflix, to make it easier for users to add members, especially when we pay $15/mos which should have enough room to make things user friendly. Thank you kindly for your attention and hopefully the issue can be resolved with some direction. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, @Jane_Solovyov 
Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!

Please, maybe your daughter is trying to accept the invitation you've sent her while your own Spotify account is logged in the device. Please, let's try to follow these tips:

1. Resend your daughter the invitation link.
  2. Ask her to accept it using the incognito mode of a browser (Chrome, Safari, Edge) on a desktop device.
  3. She needs to check if she is really logged into her own account. If she realizes that your account is opened on the browser, it's necessary that she log it out and try the previous steps again.

Note that: 

• The invitee needs to log into (or sign up for) their own account to open an invite. 
  • The plan's manager may need to log out first if they're on the same device.

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey, @Jane_Solovyov 
Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!

Please, maybe your daughter is trying to accept the invitation you've sent her while your own Spotify account is logged in the device. Please, let's try to follow these tips:

1. Resend your daughter the invitation link.
  2. Ask her to accept it using the incognito mode of a browser (Chrome, Safari, Edge) on a desktop device.
  3. She needs to check if she is really logged into her own account. If she realizes that your account is opened on the browser, it's necessary that she log it out and try the previous steps again.

Note that: 

• The invitee needs to log into (or sign up for) their own account to open an invite. 
  • The plan's manager may need to log out first if they're on the same device.

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star

Thank you for letting me know. We
followed the steps and it seems to be working!
Thank you!

Hey there,
Thanks for keeping us in the loop and glad to hear this did the trick.

Since this helped solve the issue you were experiencing, we've marked the reply as a solution so that other users with a similar issue can find it more easily.
Don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with. We'll be happy to lend a hand.

Have a great day 🙂

LuanSpotify Star

Much appreciated! Yes, hopefully others can learn to navigate Spotify as it is a bit tricky. Glad there’s a community that can give direction. Thank you again!

We have the same issue my daughter was on her ex boyfriend plan and he removed her from his account and I already talked to an agent and it seems confusing what he telling me like I supposed to deactivate my account and open another one and my daughter has to add me beacuse I recently try the premium duo and she was en premium 🙄that’s not make any sense 

Hey, @hellopam8121 
Welcome to Spotify Community, and thanks for reaching out to us!

First of all, I'd like to ask you for more information about what's happening to your account's plan. Could you better elaborate on the pieces of information, letting me know about what plan we are talking about; what's the difficulty you're facing exactly, and what you are trying to do? Any further information you think is useful can help.

Stay awesome and keep me posted! I'd love to help you 😊

If you have further questions or if you need anything else, let me know!

Regards,
Luan 🇧🇷

LuanSpotify Star

Hello community,

My brother opened up a family account. He has sent me an invite but I can't get in because apparently I'm not living at the same address as him but that's not true. We are living together but he's on vacation and I'm out of town and I repeatedly get the same notification about that I'm trying to log in from another country. Is this because he is on vacation?

Hey @Flow6,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

It seems this is related to the country or region not matching in both yours and your brother's account. To check if that is the case, would you mind sending us a screenshot of the error you get when trying to join the plan?

Note: Be aware this is a public space, so please don't share any personal info on the screenshot you'll send us.

We'd recommend going to your Account pages on Account overview> Country or region to verify if you have set the same country or region. Once you've done that, take into account you have to make sure the address your brother has set for the plan is the same you're putting when trying to join. 

If you've checked and you both have the same region, it's worth trying to join the plan from a different device or using an incognito window. It'd be best to wait until you both return to your town to check how it goes.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi Aleja, 

So I've looked at my account settings and went to the section where I can change the payment method and the country but unfortunately I'm not eligible?! 

I will attach some screenshots for your understanding. 

Please see attached the screenshots 

Screenshot_20230727-173126.png
Screenshot_20230727-173106.png
Screenshot_20230727-173002.png

Hey there @Flow6,

Thanks for the post.

In order for your to join the Family plan, you need to make sure of the following:

• The country set on your account matches that country which you're currently in and the country which is set on the account of your brother (Family plan manager).
  • You're entering the same address as the one listed on the Family plan. Note that you should be on the address when you do this, otherwise it might not work.

If you're currently on Premium Individual, you'd need to update your payment method to one issues from the country which you're trying to change to in order to change your country. For example if you live in France, but want to change your country to Canada, you'd need to update your payment details with a Canadian payment method. If that's not possible, you can cancel your Premium Individual subscription, wait until your account switches to Spotify free and then you can manually change the country on the account, so it matches the country set on your brother's account.

I know it sounds a bit complicated, but there are certain restrictions to switching country settings, because there are certain price and content differences between countries on Spotify. 

The easiest way to do this would be when both you and your brother are back home at the address listed on the Premium Family account.

Let us know if you need more help with this.

AlexModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Alex,

Thanks for that information. I will have to cancel my individual account because I can't change the country as you can see in the screenshots. Picture 2 is actually before picture 1 (the pictures are not in the right numerically order arranged). 

When I wanted to change the country it brought me back to that page seen on picture 1. And picture 3 is also showing you that I can't change it any other way. So yes as you already mentioned it is quite confusing and complicated. But thanks for the confirmation. 

Hey @Flow6,

Thank you for the clarification.

If you've already canceled your individual subscription, you just need to wait until your account goes back to the free tier in order to change countries. In case you're not sure about the process, we'd recommend checking out this article.

Remember that you can re-subscribe to Premium using a payment method based on your current country.

If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you. 

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts