NEXT STEP

[Help] Spotify thinks I like listening to German-speaking songs

[Help] Spotify thinks I like listening to German-speaking songs

Plan

Premium

Country

Israel

My Question or Issue

This feels silly but I really would like some help. Following is an overview of the issue:

I have been using Spotify Premium for couple of years now, and I have had constantly offered to listen to songs in German; in the old radio feature, in the current Discover Weekly playlist, recommended artists, release radar, and several daily mixes.

I am adamant I have never listened to German music (no offense, I just like music in language I can understand), I make sure to always hide these songs from the radio and Discover Weekly playlist, but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

About a year and half ago I also suspected that someone from Germany might be logged on the account for some reason, so I logged out of all other devices, but no change.

The straw that broke the camel's back is that today I went to look at my subscription on the account page using the link from the desktop version, and it sent me to the Spotify's website in German.

After changing the language back, I made sure the country that appears in my account is still Israel, and went straight away to post this message.

I looked into resetting my music preferences, but it seems this feature is not available.

Any help is appreciated,

An Israeli, non-German speaking guy.

5 Replies

Hey @Talsk,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

If you've come across music unexpectedly played and settings unexpectedly changed with your Spotify, it'd be good to make sure no one is accessing your account in an unauthorized way. For this purpose, it'd be great to bookmark and follow the steps in this support page article as well as this one since they feature some essential info regarding how to keep the safety of your account up-to-date.

The only way to reset your suggestions algorithm is to allow it develop over time and organically, according to your own music selection preferences. That's why it's very important to make sure the security levels of your account are always on point. 

Hope you'll find this info useful. Don't hesitate to get in touch if there's anything else we can help with!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Mario, thanks for your answer.

As mentioned, I did take the appropriate steps to secure my account about a year ago when I had the thought that someone else was logged in, but, alas, it did not help my recommendations.

I also got the same problem. In recently played library, there are many songs that I've never heard of or interested in, and in languages that I dont understand. I just tried logout from all devices and changed my password. Not sure it helps or not

Just an update that it helped for me. Therefore, maybe you may consider register another spotify account?

Thanks for the update, glad it worked out for you!

Sadly I did it myself and it did not work. There aren't any unfamiliar songs in my library or recently played, just when new songs are recommended to me or the discover weekly playlist.

I feel like the issue is different where Spotify associates my taste with these kind of songs for no apparent reason, and won't change it even though I never listen to them.

Suggested posts