Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Hi-fi, lossless playback, FLAC offer

Solved!

Hi-fi, lossless playback, FLAC offer

Just received a notification via the app for lossless playback, etc.., for an additional $5 but i clicked back and now it's gone? How can i find this again?

86 Replies

Well, it's been awhile since I dropped Spotify for Deezer, and i do miss tremendously some Spotify features, but having the ability to stream to 3 devices simultaneously with one account topped with the sound quality (& quality sources) I'm sure I will not look back.

Spotify needs to understand that lossy quality combined with different audio streaming technologies, like bluetooth (which people very often use) makes things even worse. Some will say that bluetooth streaming is lossy by design and lossless doesn't makes sense. This, on its own, is true, but bluetooth streaming a lossless source sounds way better than bluetooth streaming a lossy source, extremely noticable on studio equipment, and easily noticable with just good quality equipment. Especially now, when newer bluetooth technologies are introduced every year. This is true for virtually any streaming tech (except a very few, mainly "casting" type of streamers). What actually happens is that the audio data is converted two or more times before it reaches the user's ears, in different formats. This translates into data loss with each conversion, which in the end sounds poorly. And if the DACs used are also of a lesser quality.. well.

So there are many reasons why lossless makes sense in many cases, even for non-professionals or non-audiophiles with expensive equipment. And there's the subconscious part, where people know they are listening to quality streams and enjoy music more. It matters, when it's missing.

That audio test on "The Verge" means nothing. Audio tests are subjective (at most) and cannot be done with two tracks. It's a nice try, but useless.

Think no more Spotify, know that lossless is a good business choice, to cover all the (still) niche users, as they will turn out to be the majority in the very near future. You'll have a lot of work, as you started out with one thing, which is not sufficient anymore, and you will eventually have to switch to something else. If you haven't planned for this, it might be even more difficult. But remember, don't just stream lossless from a lossy source, as that will be your doom.

If users are needed for testing lossless, count me in.

Same sentiment here and regrettably want to switch to deezer or tidal, but I'm worried about losing my playlists. Are there any reliable ways to transfer them across? Such a shame - I thought the idea was to lead rather than follow. This way well be their Nokia moment....

There are many services like SongShift and Soundiiz that will transfer your playlists between services.

Wait until you try Tidal+Roon (RoonLabs) - Prepare to be blown away.

Please invite me to test the lossless beta.

You are correct when using standard equipment. When using a high quality DAC with low ThD and low jitter, anyone, even you could EASILY hear the difference between 320 Vorbis and FLAC.  But yes, you are correct. With standar equipment, most people will not be able to tell. Just not fair to say 100% of people can't tell lol!

- JT

Sooooo, we’re still not getting lossless

I'll cancel Tidal and upgrade my Spotify to lossless and a family account IN A HEARTBEAT if you guys release this feature

I don't think it's about hearing the difference; it's more about feeling it. I have never been able to hear any difference on audiophile headphones, but I have been able to feel a more impactful/punchy bass when listening to heavy metal/orchestral works with good dynamics (i.e. good recordings with alternating quiet and loud parts in the music) on a reasonably good (entry-level audiophile) pair of speakers.

For people who have invested big bucks on audiophile soundsystems, it is reasonable to expect more from Spotify than 320 kbps of compressed sound.

@AndreM wrote:

I don't think it's about hearing the difference; it's more about feeling it. I have never been able to hear any difference on audiophile headphones, but I have been able to feel a more impactful/punchy bass when listening to heavy metal/orchestral works with good dynamics (i.e. good recordings with alternating quiet and loud parts in the music) on a reasonably good (entry-level audiophile) pair of speakers.

For people who have invested big bucks on audiophile soundsystems, it is reasonable to expect more from Spotify than 320 kbps of compressed sound.

I could not agree more.  This is not something Spotify should just give us, but everyone on this thread is willing pay more than they currently are for their monthly subscription.  A year and a half  ago a beta/pilot program was announced. It made headlines on sites like the Verge.  And now 17 months later there has not been so much as a peep from Spotify about this.  We understand if the pilot didnt go well and the program has been scrapped, but c'mon at least give us an update.  Let us give you more money Spotify.  🙂

Any update? I tried Tidal when it was free with Sprint. I enjoyed the more detailed sound, but not so much their interface and playlists. That being said, I'm thinking of going back unless Spotify improves its music quality. If there is still a beta version, add me to it.

I would also like the hifi version. Please invite me. 

I'm in for HiFi beta testing, was thinking about switching to Tidal as I just downloaded it but if Spotify gets it, I'll stick with them.

I'm on the verge of jumping ship to Tidal or Qobuz for this reason. I recently invested almost 10K into an insane HiFi / HC setup and there's no way I'm pumping 320 through it. I'm already signed up to both Tidal and Qobuz and I expect to chose one of these two within a month or two. 

But this will be with a heavy heart. I've been using Spotify for a long time now and I'm not impressed with the competion. The interfaces aren't as good, nor is the content curation/suggestions. As for the music, no one service seems as eclectic as Spotify. Tidal's classical music offering is basically s**t. Qobuz is good for classical and less popular stuff but has huge holes in their library. I won't be able to blast Sunn O))) in the small hours - although I'm sure the neighbours won't be particularly upset!

When Tidal started making waves, I had assumed that Spotify would **bleep** this in the bud and quickly provide a lossless subscription. Years later and still nothing! So if there is a lossless trial currently running, for the love of god sign me up please!

Look into Soundiiz for playlist migration...

Try Deezer. Good library of HiFi tracks. I still have Spotify for my wife and times where I'm using a device that just has it...but for me that's the only reason I see Spotify as any good - because it had such a high penetration rate. Every device out there works with Spotify. If you're after quality, it's just not on Spotify. That's not their game. 

Funny I just came to that conclusion whilst reading previous comments on this thread! Thanks, I'll check it out!

Tried Tidal hifi for the first time.

Wauv what a difference.

Can't believe how I got use to Spotifys "premium" quality.

Hope spotify will offer better audio quality soon else Tidal will be my future streaming service.

Same here. But Tidal’s library isn’t great. For instance, their Classical music selection is a joke. So for now Deezer is it!

Count me in

Suggested posts