Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I get private session to turn on automatically?

How can I get private session to turn on automatically?

How can I get private session to turn on automatically?  If it's possible at all...

52 Replies

Hi there,

At the moment there isn't a way to turn on the "Private Session" mode automatically after log in. 

However, you can also control how your listening habits are shared by going to Edit > Preferences (in Windows) or Spotify > Preferences (in Mac) and editing your 'Activity Sharing'. These preferences will be saved on your account until you decide to change them again. 

I am using Windows, but can you be a bit more accurate of the edit > preferences? is it in spotify(the program), the web, or in the computer files?

Yes this is in the Spotify application on your desktop. Just open the Spotify app, log in and the "Edit" tab will at the top next to "File".

"At the moment there isn't a way to turn on the "Prviate Session" mode automatically after log in."

Why?

Hi Thawi - If you'd like to always be in a 'Private Mode' just follow the instructions below:

Anyone who follows you on Spotify can see what you’re listening to in real time, unless you turn on a Private Session.

Pick a device below to learn how to draw the curtains.

Note: Anything you play privately may still factor into some of the personalized mixes we make for you (but not Discover Weekly).

1. Click  in the top right corner of the app.
  2. Select Private Session. Your picture changes to show the private session is active.

The Private Session ends when you restart Spotify, or after a long period of inactivity.

1. Tap Home 
    Got Premium? Tap Your Library .
  2. Tap Settings .
  3. Under Social, switch Private Session on.

The Private Session ends when you restart Spotify, or after a long period of inactivity.

That is excellent! Thank you Smiley Happy

Hi guys,

so if I have all my activity hiden there is no way people can reach my music? What about all my FB friends? Should I turn on Private Mode... every time??

Thanks for your support

Ra

Hi raulserrano - If you've changed all your 'Activity Sharing' and 'Profile' settings nothing will be shared.

These can both be accessed from your Preferences Page: Edit > Preferences (in Windows) or Spotify > Preferences (in Mac)

@Meredith: You say "nothing will be shared" - Does this include the Spotify ticker at right hans site of the app? I mean what's the point of the "private session" button if you can just turn it all off in the preference settings?

I'm seriously considering making a fake FB profile to avoid the sharing stuff - I'm clicking the pricvate session EVERYTIME anyway.

What about all my FB friends? Should I turn on Private Mode?

Martinlundp - Correct, Private Mode means nothing is shared in either Facebook or Spotify Social (the ticker in your app). 

However, if you adjust your settings in your Preferences there's no need to go into Private Mode all the time. 

The Private Mode option is there for users that want to share their tunes 99% of the time. They can use Private Mode when they want to listen to a guilty pleasure for a couple of hours without adjusting all their settings. 

raulserrano - What about your Facebook friends? Do you want to share your tunes with them? This can be done via your Prefences Page: Edit > Preferences (in Windows) or Spotify > Preferences (in Mac)

Screen Shot 2013-01-28 at 2.39.24 PM.png

Hi meredith,

so if I have this configurationI show you, my facebook friends (in the right column) will not see what I listen? Thats what I want.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2013-01-28 at 16 .41.png

Hi raulserrano - Yep that's correct. You're good to go. 

Thanks Man 🙂

Is the activity sharing a per device option or will it affect every device if i use this option ?

Arkthik - It's per device.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

On the iphone client settings, I see an option for not sharing to Facebook, but not one for not sharing on Spotify?

How do I make sure what I'm listening to on my phone isn't being shared?

Currently I have to turn Private Session back on a couple of times a day to be sure, which is really annoying when I'm paying for Premium. 

I have the same question. How do I change the iPhone app to never share?

Frictionless sharing from social applications drive me crazy!  

I hate to beat a dead horse, but after all, you could avoid all of these privacy questions by simply allowing a permanent private session option!!!  

Ok, so we have covered that by unchecking all of the boxes in the desktop app > preferences > activity sharing section, this will be, in fact, a private session.  But then you say that this only applys to this singular device, ie. the desktop.  

So, I am on my iPhone app and I go to settings > social, and they do not have these same options...  ARGH.  Do you see why this keeps coming up!  The only options there are the non-permanent Private session switch, and Last.fm/Facebook switches.  It says nothing about spotify social (if that is what you call that obnoxious scrolling list in the desktop app that I didn't even know existed because I only used the iPhone app for the first few months that I used spotify).  

To make matters worse, there is no way of seeing exactly what I am sharing, because my own items don't show up in the obnoxious scrolling list.  To be clear, why can't there be a simple option for those who don't want to share anything, with anybody, at any time?  Just because this can be used as social media, doesn't mean that everyone wants it to be...

Suggested posts