Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I get private session to turn on automatically?

How can I get private session to turn on automatically?

How can I get private session to turn on automatically?  If it's possible at all...

52 Replies

This is pretty weak. It's obvious that 1) It's easy to turn on a private session and 2) A significant subset of users would like to configure this to be the default behaviour for their account, across devices. Why Spotify doesn't implement this is beyond me. When I pay $10/month for a 'premium' account, I really expect to have this degree of control. Very disappointing.

@wahunt wrote:

This is pretty weak. It's obvious that 1) It's easy to turn on a private session and 2) A significant subset of users would like to configure this to be the default behaviour for their account, across devices. Why Spotify doesn't implement this is beyond me. When I pay $10/month for a 'premium' account, I really expect to have this degree of control. Very disappointing.

Does unticking all of the sharing options in the settings menu not achieve the same thing?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

So what's the status of this as of 2015. It doesn't seem possible to enable private mode in the Android app by default. Is it possible on the pc client by doing the above mentioned changes?

I believe that Spotify earns more money if users share as much of their activity as possible. And therefore they are very reluctant to properly implement this 'feature'.

Honestly...for paying 9,99 per month all these restrictions suck big time! Why cant I decide on my default status as a paying premium member? Why cant I see any longer who is following my playlists? lets not start talking about some other weird design descisions here...

Even following these instructions it doesn't work for me. Every time i open spotify i have to turn on private session again. it's super annoying!! I don't wish to share what i listen to with the world. Can I unfriend people on spotify? This way i don't have to worry about this. How do i know who sees what i listen to? I don't know who is connected to me through spotify.

Exactly. I'm new to Spotify and HATING this behavior of the app. It seems like deliberate complication to me. Sucks big time.

I totally agree with you. I am waiting for someone from spotify to adress this in this thread and not just turn a blind eye to this thread which is what they are doing at the moment it seems. Hello? I want it to always be private. Always. I dont want it to reset every single time I turn off my spotify.

Hello?

They won't respond to this and they're not going to change this behavior, IMO. I would bet it's viewed as something like "an essential part of the social experience of our service." 

I don't get it.

If you turn off facebook sharing, spotify sharing and scrobbling in the Desktop app you are actually in a permanent private session. That's all selecting Private Session does anyway.

If you're worried about your facebook friends, just create a new spotify account with an email and don't link it to fb. It's definitively more private that way.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi everyone, 

I'd like to revive this topic, hoping we could get a final solttion for this Spotify-imposed sharing setting.

What I'm trying to accomplish is the following: listen to music on my Spotify account without anyone seeing what I'm listening to. I'm not a social butterfly and don't care about anyone's opinion on the music I listen to. 

That being said: is there a way to listen to music on Spotify without sharing that with anyone? No I don't want to turn on Private every 6 hours and have already disconnected the Facebook account. 

As I'm typing this I'm transferring my playlists over to Apple Music, which does not seem to share anything without my conesent or ask me to turn on Private mode every 6 hours. 

I really like Spotify, the music and quality but got really bothered by having to go Private every 6 hours.

Can someone please let me know if there's a permanent solution to this nonsense, or should I finish transfering over my playlists to Apple Music ? 

Hey @lsfdjgfdsg, Welcome back to the Community!

There is a permanent solution. You only need to do the following:

1. Click the v next to your name (top right corner) followed by a click on Settings.
  2. Turn everything switch off between Social and Local Files.

This should do the trick.

Cheers,

"everything switch off" includes switch off "private session"?
Sounds a bit confusing. If I do so it turns my hidden status directly to public.
Or get I something wrong here?

Thanks..

Then I'm not sure about my solution. Can you please check it for me please.
-

Everything social is already off on my end. However, I still appear in other people's friend feed, unless I turn on Private Session, which I need to do every 6 hours.

Thank you for checking.
By searchingring on the Community, I found this idea: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Let-me-activate-private-session-indefinitely/idi-p/10429...
You can give it a Vote and hope that they implement the feature soon.
Cheers,

This is ridiculous. 

Are they completely insane. They just think no one will notice or mind that all their listening is being broacasted in public?? 

This is unacceptable. 

None of these "solutions" are aceptable. Nothing short of a "make ALL sessions private" option is acceptable. 

Once again, a service putting their marketing strategies before their costumers. 

This is the kind of fascism you'd expect from Mark Zuckerberg. I've cancelled my premium subscription and as soon as I've transferred my playlists to Tidal, I'm never coming back to Spotify because of this. 

kind of annoying and a little sinister that the default setting is PUBLIC

Suggested posts