Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How did spotify knew my new credit card?

How did spotify knew my new credit card?

Hello
I had a spotify premium and then I canceled my lost credit card and got a new one with whole new number and everything. Then I saw that spotify charged me on this card... I never gave them the number or gave them autorisation. I went on my account details and saw that my new card is registred in the paymen method in spotify.

I am using an iPhone and the only place that I putted my card info is in my apple account.

Can you tell me how spotify got it? And who gave them the right to charge on this card?

Thanks everyone

11 Replies

Hey @Ayoub06,

To delete your payment info, do the following:

1. Go to your Subscription page.

2. Click UPDATE DETAILS. If it shows below 'Would you like to cancel your subscription?' click there and cancel.

3. Check the box to 'Remove', and click 'Change' button,

Note: If you have your Premium active you won't be able to remove your payment info. That's why it's important to cancel before clicking UPDATE DETAILS.

Without any payment details, no new charges can be made, but if you're an iPhone user, you do need to check your iTunes subscriptions Auto Renewal and turn it off for Spotify.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I was literally in the middle of opening my new credit card when I found out Spotify already had my new number, a number I didn't even know yet. Can you tell me how this is possible? I am more than a little creeped out by this. 

Hi. Please could somesom answer the query of how Spotify knew the card details without being given them by the subscriber. 

Thanks. 

Hey

I have had the same issue. Its mental.

I only used my new card on amazon and hotel booking sites. Spotify is linked in with facebook so how do they have access to these details. the only place they are saved is on amazon. does amazon give them away?

@struan_1 wrote:

Hey

I have had the same issue. Its mental.

I only used my new card on amazon and hotel booking sites. Spotify is linked in with facebook so how do they have access to these details. the only place they are saved is on amazon. does amazon give them away?

Amazon has no relation with Spotify and they don’t have the right to give such information 

I had the same issue happen just today. The worst thing is I paid my electric bill yesterday. I had just enough in my account to cover it. It was still pending when spotify charged me. Now my electricity is going to be shut off, because I have no idea how long the refund that they issued is going to take to go through.

Spotify must be part the Visa Updater Scheme. It's wildly intrusive in my opinion.

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/download/merchants/visa-account-updater-product-information-fact-sheet...

This is really messed up. I just discovered the same thing while looking over my bank account. My card number was stolen last month and I was sent a notice from Spotify that the membership was going to be suspended and figured that I wasn't using it enough anyway. The email didn't say that they could get the new card number without my input. LOL Thanks for making my decision for me. I hope the extra $10 was worth me never signing up for your service again.

As I was going over my bank statement  I realised that payments were taken out of my account under my new card number, when I knew for a fact that I had never given it to them. My previous card had to be replaced. What is the answer, because as far as I am concerned  if you have my card details and I haven't passed them on, then it's theft. 

@Inrisu wrote:

As I was going over my bank statement  I realised that payments were taken out of my account under my new card number, when I knew for a fact that I had never given it to them. My previous card had to be replaced. What is the answer, because as far as I am concerned  if you have my card details and I haven't passed them on, then it's theft. 

Exactly.

Suggested posts