Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

Solved!

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

139 Replies

I've had the same problem. The "Find Friends on Facebook" doesn't work either and I know the friend I am trying to locate has his Facebook linked with Spotify.

@Beelzebell if your account isn't linked to facebook, you'll need their spotify username. Check out this post for other ideas.

It's also worth having a search for using their real name, sometimes you can get lucky and find a profile that way. 😉

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

From your spotify profile, under your name, click the "..." and there is an option to "copy spotify url". 

Have your friend do that. Paste it in the search bar. 

No brakets! That happened to me too. Use this 

@ColdSummer wrote:

"spotify:user: [username]" does not work. Why is this so difficult??? Im annoyed.

spotify:user:username

Also worth noting the first "s" in Spotify has to be lowercase. 😉

Peter

@patcox - Are you having issues we can help with?

Peter

Thank you! This is the correct answer.

Ok, then how do I find someone if I am not on Facebook but I know their username?

In my case I am trying to add a friend who let's say his name is John Peter Doe. But when I search for 'spotify:user:john peter doe ' or 'johnpeterdoe' that doesnt work? What can I do?

You can try just searching the user name multiple ways and look under Profiles from the name search each time. There might be allot of users using some form of that user name. What your friend could do is send you an URI link to one of their user created playlists in a social media page, or a pm, or email message, and when you open the playlist in either the desktop app or webplayer just under the playlist name their correct user name will be shown, and clicking on it will allow you to go directly to their profile page so you can click on their follow button.

Alright, I'll try that. Thank you 🙂

Literally the stupidous most confounding way to do the simplist of tasks.

@GodfreyBK wrote:

I was having similar trouble adding one of my friends because he gave me the wrong username.  So I just typed out "spotify:user:godfreybk" in an email and told him to copy and paste into his search function.  It worked immediately.  So as long as you know your own username, I would suggest doing that.

This worked for me - go to the top search bar in spotify and enter in the text as described above (not the search in the find friends page).

worked for me..

How does one, stop receiving notifications when someone replies? I posted in this topic last year, and recieve a reply every week. I don't care about this topic anymore, but can't figure out how to unsubscribe from getting notifications. Thank you!

@gr33nmind 

At the top of the thread click on "Topic Options" and click "Unsubscribe"

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanx, I kept going there, but kept missing the Unsubscribe link, beause it was in the middle of the list. I was only looking for it, but in the bottom of that list. This time I slowly scanned and found it!

I have tried multiple times and "spotify:<username>" does not work.  I also do not have facebook. How else can I follow my friend? Seems like there should be a much simpler way than having to contact someone and have them email me a link to one of their playlists.  Just being able to search by isername would seem easiest way to share music with people.

@elephantonamous 

Actually you need to type this in to search and press enter afterwards: 

spotify:user:mattjsrules

instead, put the username you want where mine is 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts