Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

Solved!

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

139 Replies

I agree with many of the posts here. Spotify has made this far too complicated for the average user. How often do you keep track of your friend's usernames? It would be more user-friendly to search by email or some other more commonly used identifier like their first & last name. In addition, who would know to use spotify:user:(username) to locate a friend on Spotify without first searching throughout the site for instructions? Why not create a seperate "Find a Friend" search bar that is specific to one function?

I work in quality assurance and deal with issues like this on a daily basis but this has been a concern for Spotifiy users like myself for over a year now. Its time Spotify listens to our concerns and try to make the experience here more enjoyable.

I do wonder about this though, does "the average user" not have Facebook nowadays though, in which case finding friends is easy?

I remember being able to search by email was discussed before, but its not possible due to the privacy policy.  

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

You are correct. The issue seems to apply primarily to users, like myself, who choose to not have a Facebook.

take off the brackets

Instead of using the brackets, just type "spotify:user:" immediately followed by the sought for user name!

use capital letters in your search

ie "spotify:user:USERNAME"

lower case letters did not work, UPPERCASE = disco

Searching friends on Spotify is a real nightmare! Even for those who linked their account with Facebook. Wouldn't it be simpler to simply search by Name and Surname, like in Facebook and then ask permission to follow someone if he doesn't have a public profile?

If you are friends on Facebook you should be able to search for them by real name. 

Should appear as a search suggestion under the heading "Users". 

Peter

Peter

it works, but he typed it weird, just put spotify:user:their username.  for instance, to search me, use spotify:user:18jjoldersma

it don´t work with me!!

@karlvilks wrote:

it don´t work with me!!

Are you sure you are searching for a Spotify username and not a Facebook username? 

Full details on how to find your friends are found in this topic

Peter

Peter

This really helped for me (the tutorial) since me and my brother are not on 'facebook'. But all I can do is 'follow' him and he can 'follow' me. How can him and I become friends on spotify?

Following and becoming friends are the same thing in Spotify land 😉 

Peter

Peter

The last versions of Spotify for Mac don't show any friends, even though I have connected my account to Facebook and I have many friends. Moreover now I can't find friends in the search box anymore. This app gets worse every new version... Is it just me?

Do you need to have a facebook to follow another user? I dont have a facebook, does that mean I can't follow other users?

thanks

@Jadee wrote:

Do you need to have a facebook to follow another user? I dont have a facebook, does that mean I can't follow other users?

thanks

Nope, you can use the follow system without Facebook but its a little more tricky. 

Methods for finding and following your friends depending on your account type are outlined in this tutorial

Peter

Peter

Please update this furure. it dosent make sense that it is so hard to find friends. 

Can't you see that it is everybody that has problem with this. there are topics I youtube were there a tutorials to help you. if you guys can't make a system that is good and works so well with music it must be possible to make it easier to find friends. 

@kaspya30 - what would make it easier for you? 

Peter

Peter

I have a similar problem. But it is the other way around. I don't show up when they're searching for me using my facebook name. 

Also my facebook name and profile picture does not show up in spotify. I've connected spotify to facebook, and can find my friends, but they can't see or find me.

Thank you for your time.

Suggested posts