Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do a START an account with a real username?

Solved!

How do a START an account with a real username?

I want an account with a username that is searchable, but no matter what way I try to open an account I just get a random set of letters and numbers. How do people get actual usernames that can be searched for? My friends have them, but regardless of whether I sign up using facebook or creating an account via the app I just get random letters and numbers, so what's the process?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

That doesn't give a username, that gives a profile name I'm pretty sure. Reading more online it looks like Spotify have removed the option of a username and now give randomly generated usernames. That's stupid as it means less functionality and makes it virtually impossible to search for friends that aren't connected via social media.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Hey @Winds ,

Welcome to the Community! 

I recommend you to confirm if the option "Facebook Processing Data" is enabled here.

Also, it can take a week or so to refresh your profile. 

Hope this helps 🙂

I had an account that was created with facebook for years and it was still just numbers and letters. Linking a facebook account does not give any option to specify a username at the time.

You can choose your username during the moment you're signing up to a new account or by connecting it to Facebook.
You need to make sure that Spotify is enabled to process Facebook data in order to share your name, otherwise, it will be just a bunch of random characters. Linking isn't just enough in some cases. 

I recommend you to check out this article. 🙂

I am having this problem as well. I would like to have an username of my choice for my account, please.

Marked as solution

That doesn't give a username, that gives a profile name I'm pretty sure. Reading more online it looks like Spotify have removed the option of a username and now give randomly generated usernames. That's stupid as it means less functionality and makes it virtually impossible to search for friends that aren't connected via social media.

Hey @NNT41  and @Winds,

It's currently not possible to choose your own username, but there's an idea in the Community where you can add your vote - just head here.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions about this 😉

That thread was started in 2014. That's 5 years ago. If it was going to be reintroduced due to public outcry it would have happened by now. You can feel free to remove that from your suggestion list to anyone ever again, it's an irrelevant point after FIVE years.

Suggested posts