Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to change display name?

How to change display name?

When i signed up, I chose a display name.

But when i upgraded to premium, my display name became a bunch of random numbers and alp[habets.

How can i restore my original display name?

9 Replies

Hey there @TehWX,

Thanks for reaching out! 

At the moment it's not possible to change your username or the display name. You can link your account to Facebook if you have one, so that the name of your profile there shows in your Spotify account too.

The other option would be to:

1. Cancel your subscription.
  2. Create a new account.
  3. Transfer your music from your old to your new account.
  4. Close the old account.

We hope this helps!

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi Petya,

The thing is, i did key in a display name when i first set up my account.

It is only after upgrading to premium that i face this issue.

So if i create a new account and upgrade to premium, i will face this problem again.

Hey @TehWX,

Thanks for confirming!

I understand. This could happen if you've created your account on your mobile device. 

You could try creating a new account on a Desktop device. If it has the display name you want, you can safely follow the steps above.

Let us know what happens! 

PetyaModerator

Hi Petya,

If I create a new account, am I able to reuse my existing E-Mail?

Hey TehWX,

Thanks for your question!

You will have to use a different email address to the one used on your original account.

However, once you've created the new account, you can reach out to our Customer Support team here. They will be able to help you merge the two accounts by closing the old one and transferring all your saved music and playlists over to your new account. They will then be able to update the email address on the new account to your existing email address.

Hope that helps! Let us know how you get on. We'll be here in case you have any further questions.

Hi,

I have almost the same problem.
When creating my account (on the mobile app) I typed in a display name but it got replaced with a series of random characters.
The problem is that I opted for the student plan and SheerID is currently verifying my documents (so, Important : the subscription isn't activated yet ). Can I stop the process to be able to create a new account on the desktop app and still go for the student plan with the same University documents?

I saw that there are three steps to the SheerID verification and the second one is "compte" ("account" in English) isn't that the step that allows you to link the student verification to a specific account? In that case, I could still create another account with the good display name and link the student verification to it right?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

Lantha

Annotation 2019-11-26 184616.png

Hey there @user-removed,

Thanks for asking us about this!

Yes - you can create a new Spotify account and apply the discount on that one. If you want to use the same email address you used to create your Spotify profile the first time, you should first free up the email address by closing the old account. 

Note: When creating your new account, try doing it from a desktop device. 

Keep us posted!

PetyaModerator

Thank you !

I did exactly that and it works perfectly.

I just didn't bother getting back the previous email, I used another one of mine, it's fine. I closed the old account though.

I will now also close my old community account.

Hi Peter,

What would happen to my other family accounts?

Since i am using the family plan.

Suggested posts