Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to fix random playing and pausing (All Devices)

How to fix random playing and pausing (All Devices)

Hi there,

I've had this issue for the past 5+ months and haven't been able to find a single solution.

I am a Spotify premium member and have been for a couple of years now. I've added my account to many of my devices (Android phone, Echo Dot, Xbox One, Google Home, Sonos, etc.). 

For whatever reason, whenever I am listening to music (no matter the device in use), my music will pause and resume playing at random intervals. This can be a matter of seconds, minutes, or hours. 

That being said, I can finish my music listening session on that device, walk away and eventually, my music will resume playing, even if I am in another room than the last used device. I'm not asking Alexa or Google to resume playing, I'm not clicking a headphone play/pause button, I'm not doing anything to prompt a play/pause on Spotify. This does not occur with any of my other music services (Apple music, Google Play, etc.). This must be some issue with my Spotify account as it transcends the device itself and occurs across all devices. 

I wish I could attach an example of what I'm experiencing here, but it is impossible as I never know exactly when it will happen.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?? I've done as much research as I can, and haven't found a solution.

Please help!

3 Replies

Hey @mcolfax! Welcome to the Spotify Community!

It sounds like someone might be using your account. The steps from this article should help, could you give them a shot? Let me know how you get on.

Thanks and have an awesome day! 🙂

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have the same issue and I'm fairly certain no one else is using the same account. I have tried to sign out of all devices a few times but the problem persists. I use it on two laptops and a phone but never at the same time.

Hey there @Huib! Thanks for the reply.

I've followed the steps on the linked article and still am having trouble. 

One of the things that seems odd and makes me think that it isn't a problem caused by another person having my account is the fact that music isn't playing on another device when it pauses on the device that I most recently was using.

As I mentioned in my original post, I do have my Spotify account signed-in on many of my personal devices. There has been occasions where someone does try playing music on my Amazon Echo (at home) while I'm already using my Spotify on my phone or laptop (at work). In these occasions, I do see that someone else is using my Spotify account. These "interruptions" in streaming are very different than the recurring issue that I posted about (as in I can see it's in use somewhere else). 

My issue is that my music will pause and play at random intervals on the device that I'm using. 

Very hard to explain, but hopefully that sheds some additional light on my problem.

Thanks again!

Suggested posts