Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to get rid of german songs in Discover weekly

How to get rid of german songs in Discover weekly

I have been happily using the Discover weekly function for some time now but this last month or so it has been cluttered with German songs. I don't necessarily dislike German songs, or any song in another language than English for that matter, but at its worst almost half of my Discover weekly play list was German. I have been disliking all German songs and Artists for some time now but it doesn't seem to work. Spotify keeps recommending German songs. How can I stop this digital blitzkrieg?

27 Replies

I have the same problem, which is driving me crazy! I'm trying to get rid of that shitty german music, but even though I'm doing same thing as you I can't get it to stop suggesting me german songs.

I have exactly same issue!

I hope that someone will address it...

the same story! And even I cannot select on my ipad  "Dislike" or delete from the playlist. This makes me mad! 

Hey me too! I’m German though but these suggestions making me nuts! If I wanna listen to German music I’ll go for it by my own. I would very much appreciate a switch off German song suggestions button!

As I Swede I get a lot of Finnish artists in my Discover Weekly. I've been fighting them for atleast a year now with the Dislike-button but still no luck. 

I think, its because uou have some german signer/group in your regular playlist and spotify dont care about language, more like same style.  

Have the same problem, mby its becouse i listen ofenbach

Guess I'm not alone in this. In my case it can be due to the fact that I listen to some metal and lot of bands are from Scandinavia: this leads to my discover weekly being filled with songs in Finnish that is not exactly what I'm looking for.

Spotify doesn't learn from my dislikes in this case and I end up having more than half of my Discover Weekly wasted.

Im not German, never listen German music. And it gives me each week, 50-60% of the music is german. I dislike always but nothing change. It won't be a big deal for them to be able to select what langugages the user doesnt prefer. I wrote to the customer services and they replied me:

"Hello again Levente, 
Thanks for getting back in touch with us 🙂 
Since you have already tried banning the songs that you don´t listen too and they are still popping up. We suggest is starting over with a new account. This will restart our listening history, so any personalized content (Discover Weekly, Daily Mix, etc) will start again using the listening history on your new account. How does this sound?

We can make your email address free to use for creating a new account. Once it's created we can then transfer your saved music, playlists, followers, notification settings, and any personal details you registered (e.g. DOB/gender) to the new account for you. 

We will be waiting for your response to further assist you. 
Have a nice day, 

Karen

" How does this sound?" - pretty shitty I tell you
So I should open a new account, so all my fights for my preferences gonna be deleted pretty sh#t solution...

Screenshot 2019-01-29 at 18.59.02.png

I have this problem too. German sounds**bleep** to me and I don't want it there. 25 of 30 Songs is german. wth is this**bleep**

Hey there folks, 

To clarify, playlists such as Discover Weekly and Release Radar are based not only on your listening habits, but also on those of other users with a similar taste and even of your friends on Spotify.

Take a look at this support site article to read more about our Playlists and how they work.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if you have any more questions!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Guys that answer about how Discover works doesnt help a tiny bit. German songs are still there. Could you pls add some preferences setting that would filter songs in other than main languages? Or to ban specific languages? Would work well with existing Discover behavior. Ideally it would fill up filtered space with extra recommendations.

Hey there @Jozokovac

Thanks for reaching out - we’re here to help!

As @Mario mentioned, the playlists made for you are still being influenced by various factors. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion with the Community. If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented 🙂 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Dear Ivan,

thanks for the reply. Also the loyalty to online music streaming factors is influenced by various factors. One of them is the ability to resolve user struggles. 

It's Monday and 3 out of top 6 recommendation are German. It makes me consider other providers to see if they are able to deal with languages. And I would recommend that for all other users that have issue with unwanted languages in their Discover Weekly list.

Only other option is currently to manually browse Discover weekly and remove all German songs. Until they return back the next week. Sounds like a war against windmills. 

The Idea about "Ideas" is nice. Just have a look - somebody else has wanted to block certain genres and got rejected - it has happened just recently: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Music-Ability-to-block-certain-Genres/idi-p/1415644#.

What's supposed to give me some hope that similar request would help? 

I really believe you can do better at Spotify.

broken discover weekly.png

I have exactly the same issue, I can't enjoy the weekly discovery because I have easily 50% german songs. I have no german friends, I hate german rap, it doesn't make sense. Every week I have more and more german songs... This is so annoying!

I have the same problem, half a year of deleting German songs .....
Today top of the list: 

st.jpg

11 German (+1 Russian) / 20 

I have never listened to non-English songs.

Time for changes. I have tolerated this for too long.

same issue for me. It's extremely annoying

Hey there @beh, @wi_4c-utmhp0o, @Donovan_50,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

Also thanks @Jozokovac for keeping us in the loop. 

We'll make sure to pass on your feedback and you can also leave a +Vote on this idea as it seems to match your concerns.

As a workaround we could suggest you try creating a new account. You can also transfer the playlists so you can enjoy them on the new account. Here you can check out the steps. 

Tip: If you see some odd changes on the account, it's always a good idea to give these steps a go to make sure your account is protected.

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

it is indeed unacceptable

Hi there @jody123,

Thank you for your post in this thread.

In this case we suggest that you head over to the idea that @Elena provided and leave a +VOTE and Subscribe for any updates regarding it.

We're constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts