Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How was my account compromised / hacked?

How was my account compromised / hacked?

So, this evening we were having issues with Alexa; pausing, stopping & generally not playing ball. She was also occasionally waking up for no apparent reason etc. We thought not much of it as this is a new to us 'gen 3' and I put it down to an ultra senstive mic; something for me to moan at Amazon about next time I get a chance.

However, whilst eating the background music kept changing/stopping. All done via 'web browser'. I didnt think much of it.

I logged into my Spotify account and ''Admin'' was playing the music. I kept changing this back over to 'me' playing to 'echo dot'.

After doing this a few times I got a ''Search result of ''go F*** Yourself'' is now playing to Dot". Not ideal when I am eating dinner with my family & the lyrics are such....

Now my username is very unique to my spotify account, and my password good - but used elsewhere.

What I want to know; Is there a way I can work out what device/rough location has played to my Spotify account/logged in? The same way Netflix etc does.

How else could this have happened? Having had issues with Netflix several months ago I am now ruthless with my login credentials.

Who is ''Admin'' and why that username? Is that one they have created themselves or something deeper?

Cheers,

edit: I have changed password, forced all devices to log in etc etc 

4 Replies

This has been an pretty big problem as of late.  Spotify won't acknowlege the issue.  I found that my login credentials were shared online.  Here's my thread on the matter: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Account-compromised-anyone-else-affected-Can-t-change-my-e...

Hey @Andehh, helps' here.

We strongly recommend that you go through this help article, step by step, in order to secure your account. You'll find all the necessary information there. 

Hope that helps, and let us know if there's anything else. 

STILL an issue.  Had my account hacked last week.  I received an email stating that I changed my PW, then another (in Spanish) stating that I changed my email.  The email domain was one of the know "disposable" emails that hackers use.  Not clue how they got it - somehow got on my phone on a free WiFi, or hacked Spotify.  Spotify help provides no information other than go read this to make sure your account is secure.  Big suggestion to everyone - don't use same password for multiple accounts.  Spotify (and Netflix) known to be easy hacking targets.

Hi @hnwfk6gn145sgnt,

Thanks for reaching out! Sorry to hear this has happened to you.

Using a different password for each service you use is a great step you can take to keep your account secure! If you want to know more, on how to keep your account safe, you can read here.

Let us know if we can help with anything else 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts