Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I can't change my country without paying?? I live in the US!

Solved!

I can't change my country without paying?? I live in the US!

I live in the US but I used to live in France, Spotify won't let me change my country so I'll be able to listen to music, without making me pay! I shouldn't have to pay, I don't need to upgrade cause I'm "traveling" I just need them to get that I live in the US just like my IP address shows, and that I need to change my country from France to USA...

Can I not do this without paying??

85 Replies

@user-removed

Did support ever reply back to you?

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

If you still have not gotten a reply:

Did you get a confirmation email from the contact form? It should be similar to "Spotify Support Case #XXXXXXX". If so, reply back to that email and tell them you still need help.

If you got an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it saying you still need help, even if it's from a no-reply address.

If you never got an email, look in your spam folder to see if there is an email in there. Make sure you are checking the email account you used to sign up to Spotify. You can check the email on your account here.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi I've registered my free acount in UK but the country showed up as USA...

and can't change it !!! please help me...

Hello

I live in the uk but when living in france for 5 months changed m'y spotify settings to France. Now back in the uk i am unable to change it back. I havé gone into my profie and tried to change it but there is no uk option.
Help what do i do?

I think it's trying to be shady because my account is premium and it's asking for a payment method to change the country...

I expected a better service from Spotify 😞

I live in Denmark, but pay with a card from Netherlands. Any way to get danish music suggestions?

My wife and I are currently temporarily living in different countries. She offered me a family subscription but I'm unable to use it since I'm abroad. And since I'm on a free subscription I can't change the country, even when I'm actually in the same country as she is for a couple of days!

I think putting the onus on the user on this is really really bad customer experience. Most top streaming and online services today, from Netflix to Xbox Live, from PSN to Steam they allow you to change your country in whatever subscription you have. The different country restrictions, from a user perspective, come only into play when trying to find content in a country where it is not allowed. But that doesn't mean you are not allowed to access or edit family or country account settings, you just have filtered content.

And the solution I read the most is that I have to put in a card from my wife's country to be able to do this... Again, a really bad customer experience.

@DanielNobre

I take you've been a Premium user before, so for you to change countries you need to delete your payment info.

1. Go to your Subscription and payment overview --> http://spotify.com/account/subscription/

2. Click UPDATE DETAILS.

3. Check the box to 'Remove', and click 'Change' button,

Note: If you have your Premium active you won't be able to remove your payment info.

Once you've done this, you'll be able to change countries, depending of your IP address, and if Spotify has officially launched there.
However, I would accept your wife's offer and let her pay for your subscription since you're family after all. That way, you'll be Premium regardless of where in the world you find yourself. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star

Thank you for the suggestion. But in this account I think I've never been a premium user. Anyway since I've been in the same country as my wife for the past two weeks, I actually managed to change and save it as my country's account.

Sorry for my previous reply, apparently I just had to wait quite a bit of time to be able to finally redeem the code...

Thank you for your time, osornios!

I live in Mexico but, i bought two gift cards in the US and I can´t use them because of my country. Can I change my country without adding my credit card?

@eptzas

Delete your payment info if you have it in the system.

You may need a VPN to get an US IP address to change your country in your profile page

TunnelBear is a good one.

If you created your Spotify account using Facebook. Your country will match the one you have in Facebook. You need to change it from your Facebook account page.

osorniosSpotify Star

I am having this same issue. I opened my account while living in Australia but I came back now to Chile my home country. I closed my premium account because my dad inivted me to the family plan but I can't accept it because my account is in a different country. I don't want to enter my bank details because the button says "start my premium spotify" and underneath it says that by doing that I am authorizing Spotify to charge my bank account.

Hey @bdr1,

Most of those problems come from a difference between the country shown by the IP address, and the one in your profile.

First, check your IP address here.

After that, compare it to the country shown in your profile.

If you opened your account with Facebook, your country is tied to the country shown in your Facebook account, so you may need to change it there.

Also, your payment method (if you used one for Premium) must match your country too, so you may need to delete it to update countries.

Change your country setting so it matches what your IP address shows.
osorniosSpotify Star

Hi! I'm from the Philippines 🙂 the reason why I wanted to change my country from Philippines to US is that we ARMYs(BTS fans) needs to stream their song "Blood Sweat and Tears" in spotify with the location in the US for it to be in the HOT100 cause it's a really big help for them to boost their judging points to win in the Golden Disk Award. So, do I really need to pay? 😞 I hope you can help me ~

the premium account we signed up is on mexico but we are in the Philippines some of the words and other songs are mexian songs how can we change our country settings without paying another subscription?

Hey @cjcv27,

In this case, it's better to delete your payment info before changing countries. You will still be Premium until the remaining days of your subscription are used up.

What I'm suggesting you to do is this:

1. Go to your Subscription page.

2. Click UPDATE DETAILS. If it shows below 'Would you like to cancel your subscription?' click there and cancel.

3. Check the box to 'Remove', and click 'Change' button,

Note: If you have your Premium active you won't be able to remove your payment info. That's why it's important to cancel before clicking UPDATE DETAILS.

After you've removed your payment info, change your country in profile to Philippines, and resubscribe to Premium with the new card info to ensure that your offline music won't be deleted and that your subscription will renew correctly when it's time.

Your payment card country must match your country in profile, and the country of your IP address.

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star

i am also facing a similar problem. I moved countries and cannot change the address by "editing profile". Doesn't allow me to change countries as a free user?

thanks

I am having a similar problem and need help. I used to live in Brazil. I came to the USA last January. I can not update my country and I tried it in Edit Profile and Subscription. In EDIT PROFILE it is blocked and I can not edit Brazil, it wont let me. In SUBSCRIPTION, I change it to USA, but it goes nack to Brazil and I am not able to change payment option as well. I read all the instructions, but can not change it. I need support on that.

Thanks. Marcela Mange Niemeyer

Hey @mmniemeyer

Most of those problems come from a difference between the country shown through your IP address, and the one in your profile.

First, check your IP address here.

After that, compare it to the country shown in your profile.

If you opened your account with Facebook, your country is tied to the country shown in your Facebook account, so you may need to change it there.

Finally, your payment method (if you used one for Premium) must match your country too, so you may need to delete it to update countries.

Change your country setting in your profile page so it matches what your IP address shows.

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star

Hello, i have the same problem but this time the country is set up as Turkey and doesnt allow me to change it to Albania or any other country. I finished studying in Cyprus now i am back to Albania and im going next to Austria,Vienna.
How can i change that everytime i travel without paying?

Suggested posts