Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I can't change my country without paying?? I live in the US!

Solved!

I can't change my country without paying?? I live in the US!

I live in the US but I used to live in France, Spotify won't let me change my country so I'll be able to listen to music, without making me pay! I shouldn't have to pay, I don't need to upgrade cause I'm "traveling" I just need them to get that I live in the US just like my IP address shows, and that I need to change my country from France to USA...

Can I not do this without paying??

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

No, your account won't be charged when you enter those details.

In fact I can see that your account has now been successfully changed to the USA and is still on our free subscription!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Spotify isn't doing this to be shady.  They are doing it to prevent abuse of the system.  Since free accounts do not include the ability to travel, if they just allowed people to change their country at will with no form of verification, people would be able to change their country and listen wherever they are.  By requiring the credit card for verification, all they are doing is validating your address.  They are not charging you anything.  If you really don't want to give this information out, you are free to contact Spotify using the contact form (Just click "About Us" above, and then click "Contact Form") and they can change it for you.  If Spotify was collecting billing information to use for nefarious purposes, they wouldn't still be around.

Marked as solution

I'm a premium member and am going to Mexico soon.  Does spotify work in Mexico?

Marked as solution

@handule - If you remove the card details from your account you should be able to change your country based on your current IP address from your online profile:

https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/

If that doesn't work, get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they should be able to swap it over manually for you. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

I need help to change my country too. Currently its set to norway, but im in the us now and my 14 days are up a long time ago. Any chance you can fix this for me? 🙂

Marked as solution

It is launched here it just doesn’t allow me to change the country at all....

85 Replies

I don't believe you can make this change yourself, but someone from Spotify support should be able to make the change for you.  If you fill out the contact form I've linked below, and explain your situation, they should be able to change the country on your account, and everything should return to normal.  Be patient though, they recieve numerous requests, so it may take a couple of days at least.

Here is the form:  http://www.spotify.com/us/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/?contact

Hope this helps!

Hi Nina 2232--

While our support team can definitely help you with this, you can also make this change yourself simply by updating your payment details.

This doesn't require opening a subscription, just enter the details of your card registered in the USA via your subscription page.

Really? I was kind of assuming that having to put in my debit card details would involve needing to pay a subscription, so I didn't want to take the risk, but if you're sure no money will be taken from my account I'll just do that?

Marked as solution

No, your account won't be charged when you enter those details.

In fact I can see that your account has now been successfully changed to the USA and is still on our free subscription!

I have the same problem, but I moved from britain to germany and i don't wanna give my credit card details. Is it right that it will change anyways? Or do I need to fill in the request?

Hi Inabox,

Your account will not be registered in Germany unless you:

a) Update your payment details with your German credit card (again, you won't be charged for this)

b) Fill out our contact form. A member of our support team can change the country after confirming a few details

If it remains registered in the UK, you won't be able to enjoy Spotify abroad without an Unlimited or Premium subscription. 

Thank you. I used the credit card and it works.

I have a similar problem, but slightly diffferent.

I lived in France, and now I live in Spain, I pay my subscription with my french card, but when it ends, I can't listen to Spotify with a free account. (normal).

I could change the country in my profile, but then each time I will pay a subscription, it will change my country again to France, and the problem will continue when it expires. I don't really like to enter my credit card information again and again on Internet, and it is not really user-friendly to do that each time, is there a workaround?

Thanks. 

Regnareb - Sadly there's not too much of a workaround for this, beyond getting a Spanish card. Your account is currently set to Spain. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Thanks.

Well,  I have a spanish card but can't pay with it so... 

Thank you anyway 😉 

I recently submitted a contact form requesting my country be changed (I just moved and don't have a credit card). How soon can I expect a response?

*EDIT: Support got back to me and everything is now in order!

Thats pretty shady that you have to enter your credit card info even if you are getting the "free" version. I don't understand how its free, even if getting charged. Do I want to give out my card info? Nope. Grooveshark/Pandora it is. Thanks for failing Spotify.

Marked as solution

Spotify isn't doing this to be shady.  They are doing it to prevent abuse of the system.  Since free accounts do not include the ability to travel, if they just allowed people to change their country at will with no form of verification, people would be able to change their country and listen wherever they are.  By requiring the credit card for verification, all they are doing is validating your address.  They are not charging you anything.  If you really don't want to give this information out, you are free to contact Spotify using the contact form (Just click "About Us" above, and then click "Contact Form") and they can change it for you.  If Spotify was collecting billing information to use for nefarious purposes, they wouldn't still be around.

Marked as solution

I'm a premium member and am going to Mexico soon.  Does spotify work in Mexico?

HI I have a similar problem. 

My country settings are set for USA and so are my payment information. 

Its still telling me that my account is abroad and that my 14 days are up. Why is it assuming i am abroad when my country info is set to USA?? 

Help!

thanks 

Westuh - We really aren't trying to be shady. As Jvanderb mentioned before, it is only for verification reasons. We won't charge you anything.

Rschlanderer3 - As much as we'd love to be in Mexico, we're not available just yet. Should there be any update, you'll see it first on our blog.

BMW2004white - If you're in the US, your account should work. Are you in a US overseas territory at all? Such as Puerto Rico? If this is the case, I'm afraid we don't support national territories at the moment. We'd love to, but there are technical and legal restrictions stopping us doing so. You can read more about it here: http://www.spotify.com/help/faq/availability/territories/

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Hi, I'm also having a similiar problem that I have recently moved to Germany from the UK, and now cannot access Spotify, and I'm totally lost without it.
Please would you be able to help me change my country.

Thanks!

Hi Rachel_Ratty- I've just had a look and your account is currenty registered in Germany. 

Are you still having trouble logging into your account? 

i Need help! I live in England but it says I'm in Austria this is what it says when i try and login "Your country doesn't match your Account please change it" i can't Without using a card the thing is i don't have a card I'm 15 ! help 

Suggested posts