Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I can't change my country without paying?? I live in the US!

Solved!

I can't change my country without paying?? I live in the US!

I live in the US but I used to live in France, Spotify won't let me change my country so I'll be able to listen to music, without making me pay! I shouldn't have to pay, I don't need to upgrade cause I'm "traveling" I just need them to get that I live in the US just like my IP address shows, and that I need to change my country from France to USA...

Can I not do this without paying??

85 Replies

Tommy_Briggs - I'd suggest getting in touch with Customer Support. They'll be able to fix it nice and quickly for you. Just head to 'About us' above, then 'Contact Form'. If you get an automated reply, just email back.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

First off - I love Spotify. Thank you for answering musicians' and music lovers' prayers and finding a way to avoid piracy and still enjoy low cost music!

I currently am using the free version of spotify because I don't have a mobile device that I need to stream to. This may change in a few weeks when I move to mexico, but for now, after the move I'd like to start off by using the free version abroad. Will I need to do anything to contact spotify to alert them that I am moving?I will still have my credit card billing address in the states for a while after the move until I get all set up down there, and I am hoping that's not going to be a problem.

Thanks!

MovingToMexico - As we're not available over in Mexico just yet, I'm afraid you won't be able to use your free account over there longer than the 14 day 'holiday period'. This period enables you to use your Spotify outside your home country.

If you'd like to continue using Spotify, you'll need a subscription to Unlimited or Premium. This allows unlimited travel, so if you sign up in the US and use your US card, you'll be able to use it over there. Just head here to do so: www.spotify.com/account/subscription/
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

My account is in UK but I just moved to France. I can't change my country without updating my payment information. I never provided any payment information, so how can it be updated??? I don't even have a credit card in France...

I'm very surprised by Spotify... it's a shady way of getting people to provide credit card information, so it's easier to subscribe to a premium account?? Very disappointing..  no wonder people are not talking about Spotify anymore..

Please provide a solution to change my country. I've tried the Contact Form, but it only gives me a few options to choose, but when I choose them, nothing happens, and I cannot click anything..

sebushi113 wrote:

Please provide a solution to change my country. I've tried the Contact Form, but it only gives me a few options to choose, but when I choose them, nothing happens, and I cannot click anything..

On Friday afternoon our Contact Form was temporarily unavailable. However, the form is now up and running again! You can write to us right here

Users that need to change their country (and don't have a credit card) should just pop us an email via that form. 

If you receive an automated message sending back to the Community simply reply again. A member our support team will then be in touch. 

you should try uninstalling and re installing it through your now proxy address.  for me i cant change it back to us or hack into settings to change.. im in canada but it works if your in the us.

HiI! I live in the US but my account is registered in Sweden.  I can not change it! So annoying. Please, please help! I need to log in to my friend's account all the time now and I think she might be getting sick of it 😜

Weird, does your IP address say you are in the USA?
http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi, 

I don't know if my situation falls into this category too... but, I had a Mexican Spotify account and upgrated to premium by giving my card information. The free 30 day trial is not over yet but I have recently moved to Germany and Spotify asked me to change my country information. Once I did this, the premium free version was gone, I was a free user again and my card information (pay information) is no longer available. Will I still be charged? I want to cancel my previous Premium subscription. Thanks

hi! i have moved from sweden to germany and the website doesn't let me change my country without upgrading to spotify premium. can you please help me to change it so that i can keep my free spotify account? thanks!

@apochoa999 - Did you get this sorted?

@handule - You should be able to change your country providing your IP address locates to the correct country and you do not have any payment details tied to your account. It is worth trying a different browser to make the change too.

Peter

thanks for the reply, Peter, but I do have a credit card tied to my spotify account and when I'm trying to change the country it wants me to upgrade for spotify premium which means I have to pay. I guess only someone from spotify can change it so that I can keep my free account.

Marked as solution

@handule - If you remove the card details from your account you should be able to change your country based on your current IP address from your online profile:

https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/

If that doesn't work, get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they should be able to swap it over manually for you. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Peter

omg, it worked! thank you so much Peter!! 

I have the same problem, just moved to canada and I can't access to my music for free and I also can't change my country. Is there a solution here ?

@jjsocialtees - What country is your profile currently set to?

Peter

My country is currently France and I would like to change it to Canada since I moved there for good.

@jjsocialtees - Are you using Spotify Free or Premium?

Peter

I have a free account.

Hi,

I need help changing my country to Canada. I want to stay as a free user but keep playing my music on sporify. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Suggested posts