Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I can't upgrade to premium account with a gift Card

I can't upgrade to premium account with a gift Card

I currently have a unlimited subscription for another 42 days. I received this subscription also with a gift card. Now I bought a new gift card for myself (happy me) and I want to upgrade to Premium, but when I fill in the code and choose 3 months premium upgrade it get the message 'We are currently not able to redeem this code'. Does anybody has this problem?

I probaby has something to do with Payment Method. I don't wanna use Paypal or Visa.

It's also saying:

Please select which Spotify product you would like to redeem below. If you choose to upgrade to Spotify Premium your remaining 41 days of Spotify Unlimited will be converted to days of Spotify Premium.

So it probably is possible.

15 Replies

Hey!

I've just taken a look at your account - only the one gift card is on your account at the moment, so the other one hasn't been redeemed, as you said. What may be happening is that it would not accept the card until the other subscription is finished.

What you could do, however, is follow the steps mentioned for changing Unlimited to Premium. This will halve the 41 Unlimited days left on your account, and convert them into Premium. Then, you should be able to use the 3 months Premium straight away on your account.

Airhorn Enthusiast

Hey,

thx for the quick answer. But I already tried your suggestion. If I convert my 41 Unlimited subscription to 20 days Premium subscription I have to fill in a paying method. This is what i get:

It looks like you've not added payment details to your account yet. Please add your payment details here.

And since i don't wanna use visa or paypal I'm still stuck. Is there another way to work around this problem?

Hmm, I think I understand now. It seems that the subscription with the card is locked from your first choice. I've just checked with our payment team, sadly you'd have to wait for the Unlimited days to end before the Premium card can be added to your account. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Isn't there a way that i could e-mail my code and 'you guys over there' 😄 upgrade my account to premium?

I'm also willingly to give up the rest of my Unlimitied Subscription. That would mean I automaticly downgrade to Free subscription and than I can use my card. I really wanna use Spotify mobile for worktraffic.

Hey!

I have the same problem as "Darkuter":

"If I convert my 41 Unlimited subscription to 20 days Premium subscription I have to fill in a paying method. This is what i get:

It looks like you've not added payment details to your account yet. Please add your payment details here.

And since i don't wanna use visa or paypal I'm still stuck."

As he asked – Is there another way to work around this problem? Or is it still impossible?

Thankful for answer!

/ellneu

Hello there,

Sadly you cannot change the type of subscription after redeeming a giftcard. So, if you select Unlimited, you will have Unlimited for your chosen duration, and likewise with Premium.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Hi again! 

Ok, sounds pretty stupid, you guys should work it out..

Luckily I only have 2 weeks left of my subscription, but for those who have 41 days, it isn't.

Thanks for the quick answer anyway!

Hi there,

I'm having this issue as well. Only my Unlimited runs throughout Semptember. When I put a Paypal account to my account, will I be able to convert my gift card into a Premium account? And if so, will I be charged for it?

Greets

Someone who has an answer to my question above?

Thanks in advance.

@koenbrits wrote:

Someone who has an answer to my question above?

Thanks in advance.

Hey 🙂 

If your currently using unlimited from a gift card, you can't convert those unlimited days into premium days. If you wish to upgrade to premium, you either need to wait until your unlimited subscription expires or get in touch with the customer services team using the online contact form and see what they can do for you. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

This is not fair.  I accidentally clicked on unlimited and now the 60$ gift card I bought myself is useless.  What a scam.  I will not only not be listening to my unlimited subscription on my computer, but I will not be able to have spotify on my my phone.  I wil not be using spotify anymore.  You are a bunch of crooks. 

@Toooo wrote:

This is not fair.  I accidentally clicked on unlimited and now the 60$ gift card I bought myself is useless.  What a scam.  I will not only not be listening to my unlimited subscription on my computer, but I will not be able to have spotify on my my phone.  I wil not be using spotify anymore.  You are a bunch of crooks. 

If you accidentally choose the wrong subscription plan when redeeming your card, get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they might be able to swap it over to premium for you. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Peter

i am trying to upgrade to premium and it wont take my visa gift card number and i know it has money on it aznd the funds dont expire till the 6/31/2021. any help would be nice

@Jaydenpower wrote:

i am trying to upgrade to premium and it wont take my visa gift card number and i know it has money on it aznd the funds dont expire till the 6/31/2021. any help would be nice

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Prepaid cards don't always work on Spotify, from experience it seems pretty hit and miss. Can you try tying the card to PayPal and then trying again? Also, make sure your card meets all of the requirements in this help page

If you are in Europe, you might also be able to purchase yourself a Premium eCard which you can redeem against your own account for premium.

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts