Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I don't understand offline mode.

I don't understand offline mode.

Hello,

I want to use offline mode to save data when I'm on the go, but I don't really understand how it works.

I have a playlist downloaded, but sometimes everything ends up greyed out and whenever I try to play a track it claims that I'm offline. Then I have to re-download every track again in order to be able to listen.

This has happened a couple times so far. 

I haven't removed the tracks. The spotify app contains about 1.2 GB of userdata, which I think are the downloaded songs, so it's not like they have been deleted.

How can I download tracks and keep them downloaded? Thank you!

(Sorry if the post ends up weird or double-posted. I keep getting submission and flooding errors)

8 Replies

Hey there @user-removed, 

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Just to confirm, is this happening across devices or only on a specific one? If it's only happening on one device, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of it?

On another note, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Are you actually toggling offline mode?

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/My-Spotify-Premium-is-not-working-offline/td-p/204150

I've been a spotify subscriber for 7 years and been frustrated how poorly it works offline. Just *today* I learned you have to toggle it offline to make it actually play. 

It's absolutely insane that this is a buried setting and not the default behavior. 

How much customer frustration is Spotify causing by not making this just work the way it should work?

Thanks for your reply! I'm using a Redmi Note 8T and Android 11. Spotify version 8.7.86.422.

It looks like it's behaving properly again. I will definitely try a clean reinstall if it happens again and I'll get back to you with the results!

Ahhh yeah this post is about offline mode having issues. I know how to enable offline mode...

Bump.

Tracks aren't removed this time, but are 'downloaded' yet don't play in offline mode. Just wasted a lot of mobile data again because the downloaded songs wouldn't play.

Strangely, I do not remember downloading some of the newest tracks I added to my playlist, but they appear to have been downloaded anyway without my input. Is this a new feature?

Hey @user-removed ,

Thanks for the reply.

Did you try the clean reinstall of the app as described here? If yes and you still face the same issue, it's important to check if the obstacle persists while using your account on a different device.

In the meantime you can check out this page on advice how to turn off any batter/memory optimizers your phone may have. This causes issues some times.

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi Dian, thank you for replying!

I've gone through all the steps multiple times over a few months without any luck. 

Hi @user-removed 

Thanks for the info, As @Eni previously asked, could you please confirm if this issue occurs on other devices too? If you haven't tested on other devices, please do so. Also, some screenshots or a screen recording of the behaviour would help us a lot.

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts