Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

If I upgrade to premium and 10 years later spotify goes out of business, do I get to keep the songs?

If I upgrade to premium and 10 years later spotify goes out of business, do I get to keep the songs?

If i upgrade to premium and I pay for 10 years and then spotify goes broke, do I get to keep the songs?

What fromat are the songs in that I can save using premium?

Regards,

Scott

4 Replies

Hey there @codeOwl, welcome to the community!

If Spotify were to go out of business (very unlikely), they would most likely provide refunds. 

You can't save and use music from Spotify on other music players - all tracks from Spotify are in encrypted ogg format. If you have a Premium subscription, you can download your playlists for as long as you like. However, you’ll need to go online within the app at least once every 30 days. This is for two reasons:

• To keep track of the music you’ve played, so Spotify can pay the music rights holders correctly.
  • To ensure your subscription is still active.

Each time you go online, the remaining time is set back to 30 days.

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

Just to re-itterate what @Merik said above, with Spotify and other streaming services you license content, you never own it. If Spotify goes under, you do not get to keep any of the content (same as if you cancelled your subscription).

If you want to download content for use outside of Spotify, you need to find another source I'm afraid.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

If Spotify were to go out of business at any time, they should at least offer access to a document we could print with our playlists' info including the track names, artists and albums.

Some of my playlists have thousands of songs in them, and I would hate to lose track of all those song and artist names.

Yeah, but Spotify can't go broke overnight. You'd have enough time to save all your playlist and song names. Btw you can do that all the time if you use the option to download your Spotify data in your account.

Suggested posts