Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Import playlist from Wimp to Spotify?

Import playlist from Wimp to Spotify?

Hey guys, hope I`m posting in the right section.

I`ve been using Wimp the last year - but now I`m kind og turning back to using spotify.

Does Spotify have a "import playlist from Wimp" function. If not, is there any other way of importing playlist in a easy manner, or do I have to spend a weekend punching it all in again?

txn

26 Replies

@KevinFuman wrote:

Hey guys, hope I`m posting in the right section.

I`ve been using Wimp the last year - but now I`m kind og turning back to using spotify.

Does Spotify have a "import playlist from Wimp" function. If not, is there any other way of importing playlist in a easy manner, or do I have to spend a weekend punching it all in again?

txn

I don't believe that there is functionality to do this at all, sorry.

Bummer - there should be. Importing everything manually is gonna take forever.

Did you find a solution for exporting playlists from Wimp to Spotify?

Did you go back to Spotify and are you more happy with Spotify than Wimp?
I am considering going back to Spotify because I can get Spotify included in my mobile subscription, but I'm a bit concerned that Spotify is not as good.

I know I will miss "Favorite albums" and favorite playlists and the way Wimp suggests songs, albums and playlists relevant for current happenings (eg. Christmas, Halloween etc).

I actually never found a solution to the problem, I googled around a lot but never found one. I dont think there is one, you just have to do the nitty-gritty job yourself and establish all your playlists manually in spootify. I never bothered, just upgraded my Wimp from free-with-phone version to a full version for half the price spootify would have cost me.

I dont mind Wimp over spootify at all, I really like what they did in the last version.

Is there any news regarding this matter? I would love to import my list from wimp to spotify, but I'm sure as hell not doing it all manually.

Hi. There is a request in the ideas exchange which has gained only 63 Kudos in six months. Add your support. Meanwhile, you could try SpotMySongs which claims to be able to generate Spotify playlists from .m3u fies. I haven't had cause to try it so be interesting to hear how you get on 🙂

This is how I did it 

Convert Wwimp to spotify

Start wimp and rightclick on the playlist you want to export

chose "Copy Weblink"

startup a web browser and in the address field press ctrl v (or right mouse click and then select paste)

If al went oke you should now have your playslist visible in a webpage.

It only shows the 1st 100 but dont worry if you playlist is longer. All the songs will come with in the next part.

On the bottm of the page select "hent spillelisten som rss"

a webpage opens now with your complet playlist in rss

Now rightclikc in the webpage and select "save as" and save it under the name "RSSPLAYLIST.TXT"

open the webpage http://xmlgrid.net/xml2text.html now

and select open file and then chose file and select the saved rssplaylist,txt

now press submit.

you have now opend the rss file and you now have to select a node to convert to csv

open the node channel and scroll thru to select the node item (behind item it should give a numer allready of how much titles it has to convert for you)

Oke Now press the convert button .

If all went well you see in the output window a table with you playlist

uou can now save this to a csv file by pressing the button save.

(it will download as a file called item.txt

You will need the program noteplad++ now If you dont have it install it from http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

open your saved item.txt in notepad ++ and select search / replace

all between () wil now be deleted.

Now press ctrl A to select all text in the notepad++ file and open your normal notepad to ctr-v paste it all in and save this as playlist.txt

Oke we are close now

Open you webbrowser again and go to http://www.ivyishere.org/ivy

and open th file playlist.txt you just saved as input

Press upload and if all went well it will show you how many tracks it found in you playlist.

Oke now spotify it !

See the website itself how to get it into spotify

in the search field put this expression [(].*[)]

put nothing in the replace field 

For any others who needs to do this (myself included), I made a website that can convert the playlists you can download from wimp (in RSS format), and gives you a link you can click to open this playlist in spotify (and then save it as a new playlist)

http://wimptospotify.azurewebsites.net/

I have seen one problem though. if the list is over 100 tracks long that tool doesn't work.

it only takes the top 100.

maybe there's something im doing wrong then?

Thanks for telling me. I will look into it when I have some time 🙂 Would you send me the link to the playlist in a private message?

When I try to open the converted playlist Spotify shows on the task bar that something's happening, but nothing actually opens in the program. And I can't understand how I paste the text "into the playlist".  I'd be eternally grateful if you'd help me out.

Hi, I should probably give som clearer instructions in the website, but in the meantime:

1. Mark all the text in the grey box (with all the "spotify:track:something" words in it) and press ctrl-C
  2. Create a new playlist in spotiy, and press ctrl-V. The songs should now be pasted into the new playlist

So I paste it in as the playlist title?
Doesn't work for me. I get a blue notification saying "The playlist name entered was invalid". 

No, you can name the playlist whatever you want. Just click in the middle of the empty playlist and press ctrl-v.

That doesn't work either 😕

Tried it too. Apparently it is not possible to paste the songs into a playlist anymore. So, I have a good cause for Spotify leaving Wimp - but I am unable to import my playlists... Duh... Do you really want me to move back to Spotify?

You are right, this is a problem with the new spotify version. Sorry, I must have been testing with the old version when I said it was working.

The playlist converter is unfortunately useless until they fix this 😞

More info here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Bring-Back-Importing-Playlists/idi-p/1044465

OK. Hope they fix this obvious limitation.

It seems Spotify requires linebreaks between tracks.

Lassemi, if you change the ouput on http://wimptospotify.azurewebsites.net/ from space to linebreak, it works! Smiley LOL

Suggested posts