Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Just restart spotify to update not working, wont update.

Solved!

Just restart spotify to update not working, wont update.

This message continues to display.  I click restart and the message is still there.  I can x the message but I want the latest update.  My billboard app is not loading.  The rest of the program seems to be working.  How can I make sue I have the latest update?  I checked about Spotify, and it says I need to update.  Please help!

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@BudSlycer wrote:

Windows 8 x64

spotify version 0.9.0.133.gd18ed589 says I need 0.9.2.18.

I would recommend NOT updating to 0.9.2.18 - it is full of bugs, including the fact that it crashes when you click the help button.

Liam

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@BudSlycer wrote:

Ok, Thanks.  I was considering becoming a premium member, but I guess I should wait for a more stable client.  My Billboard app does not work either, it was one of my favorite apps.

Try exiting Spotify (File > Exit), manually deleting the following folders (which are hidden):

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Spotify

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

Then go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > Spotify > Uninstall. 

Restart your computer 

Then reinstall using this installer: http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe

Does it work now? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

It finally updated properly.  Thanks

26 Replies

@BudSlycer wrote:

This message continues to display.  I click restart and the message is still there.  I can x the message but I want the latest update.  My billboard app is not loading.  The rest of the program seems to be working.  How can I make sue I have the latest update?  I checked about Spotify, and it says I need to update.  Please help!

Thanks.

What OS and current version are you on?

Liam

Windows 8 x64

Marked as solution

@BudSlycer wrote:

Windows 8 x64

I would recommend NOT updating to 0.9.2.18 - it is full of bugs, including the fact that it crashes when you click the help button.

Liam

Ok, Thanks.  I was considering becoming a premium member, but I guess I should wait for a more stable client.  My Billboard app does not work either, it was one of my favorite apps.

Marked as solution

@BudSlycer wrote:

Try exiting Spotify (File > Exit), manually deleting the following folders (which are hidden):

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Spotify

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

Then go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > Spotify > Uninstall. 

Restart your computer 

Then reinstall using this installer: http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe

Does it work now? 

Peter

Peter

Marked as solution

It finally updated properly.  Thanks

Hi, i got the same problem but on a mac book pro. Got this problem since spring. Can't get the update how many times i restart Spotify. How do I fix the problem?!

@engla wrote:

Hi, i got the same problem but on a mac book pro. Got this problem since spring. Can't get the update how many times i restart Spotify. How do I fix the problem?!

Hey @engla 🙂 

What version of Mac OS X are you using? 

Peter

Peter

I have this problem on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I am on Mac OS X 10.9 running Spotify 0.9.4.185.g7545a404.

Starting this morning, I've continously gotten the "Just restart Spotify to upgrade" message. On clicking "restart Spotify", the app restarts but the message this remains. Any recommendations on how to fix this?

@sadlilas - Can you try a clean reinstallation of the client? That should fix it for you. 

Peter

I have Mac OS 10.9. And i reinstalled the client but it didnt work.

same here win 7 64 bit

the about screen says that i have version 0.9.6.81

I have restarted it about 6 times already!

Might be worth a clean reinstallation and see if that makes any difference? 

Peter

a clean reinstall - that is far too much hassle for something thats not my fault - I will wait for you guys to fix it properly

i have 2 PCs - both win 7 - I see the same bugged message on both of them now, so ti's not going to be a user error. needs sroting out server-side

It looks like you should have been bumped to 0.9.7 possibly hence why you are seeing the error. Do you have identical anti-virus or security software running on those systems? 

Peter

not identical. both PCs use MSe, one PC also has malwarebytes pro.

if Spoty & MSE don't play nicely together that shoudl affect a lot of poeple not jsut me?

both PCs have version 9.8.61, so why should I be "bounced to 9.7" - that is a lower version number ???

( I see that I typod in my 1st post & said 9.6.81 but I should have said 9.8.61 - sorry

SOLVED.

after the latest ransomware news report scares, I had instlled crytoprevent on both PCs,

that whitelists existing apps but stops new exes which appear in app date from running ( because that is how ransom ware goes about encryptin all your files.)

So I see spotify-new exe in app dat but PC will not run it, until I whitelist it & reboot.

it would have been OK without the name change as spotfy.exe was already whitelisted, & it would be fine if spotify insalled in program files, like windows programs are suppoed to!

anyawy I am very confident that that will be OK once I reboot & recheck,but it's a pain- if I want to keep crytoprotect I will ahve to manually enable & reboot for every spotify unupgrade.

http://www.fooli**bleep**.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/

Suggested posts