Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Language settings: disable "gender star"

Solved!

Language settings: disable "gender star"

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Android 10

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Language has changed to gender-sensitive today. How can I set back to standard german?

Example: Instead of  "Künstler*innen"  I would like to read  "Künstler"

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I canceled my subscription now because of this stupid gender correctness.

I am switching now to apple music

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

We really appreciate all your feedback on this so far.

Going forward, we'd like to ask you to leave any feedback you have about this in this related idea. You can also add your vote to it to show your support for the idea by clicking on the +VOTE button.

Take care!

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Thank you, biib, for this post. Why stopped Spotify using standard German? So far, Spotify always seemed to be free of ideology. This change is to the bad.

I would also prefer to keep my Spotify in German. If you want to support ideologists, feel free to do so, but please don't make it the default setting and add an option for them to turn it ON separately.

Hey folks,

Thanks for bringing your feedback about this change.

We suggest you submit a new idea for it in the Idea Exchange - this is the best way for you to provide your feedback for consideration by Spotify!

Make sure to include reasons for why you think this change deserves to be implemented and how it would be beneficial to other users.

Cheers!

Ok, someone else already had the "idea" to simply remove the gender asterisk (which would probably be the best solution). It's already closed

Frankly, I am not very optimistic that Spotify will return to standard German. So, I would like to change my app language to English, wich is not possible on mobile apps. My "idea" to add this option was duplicate. So I can only support the original idea. But this idea will get closed too in a few weeks, because it is not gathering enough kudos (50 per year). It's pathetic!

Edit: There is now an idea we can vote for.

I quite agree. I find it outrageous that the German Spotify team is abusing the platform for political purposes. The use of this so-called «gender-star» is by no means generally accepted, but on the contrary, extremely controversial.

I am not willing to finance such nonsense with my premium fees.

Further reading: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/08/german-academics-and-authors-call-for-end-to-gender-no...

I agree. When navigating from a song to its album or artist, it was very clear and satisfying to press on "Kuenstler" (and i always associated a gender neutral and normal meaning with it anyway, like "band") . Now "Kuenstler*innen" takes away a few seconds of my thinking time and nerves every time i have to see this socially corrosive gender nonsense. They should at least make it optional.

I agree. This looks very messy and ridiculous. Terrible eyesore!
Marked as solution

I canceled my subscription now because of this stupid gender correctness.

I am switching now to apple music

Just made the switch to Apple Music (which has come a long way btw).

I really don’t like this.

Ich trage die Verhunzung der Deutschen Sprache mit Gender Sternchen nicht mit. Sowohl ich als "alter weißer Mann", als auch meine Frau und unsere vier Kinder fühlen sich durch so eine Aktion wie diese, extrem diskriminiert. Ich erwarte für einfach für eine Dienstleistung die ich Bezahle, eine Wertfreie, Politisch Neutrale Leistung. Gendern ist nicht Neutral. Gendern ist extrem Links - und das Lehnen wir als Familie ab.

Ich habe unseren Familiy Account jetzt gekündigt
Tags hinzufügen

So a complete rollback is not considered... what now? Next you decide we need a 50:50 quota for male and female artists? I personally don't believe in gender, I believe in equality especially when it comes to music. Can you hear a musicans s_x? I don't think so...

Funny thing is, you guys still call users Benutzer and friends Follower. So where is your rigidness when it comes to using your platform? So please get rid of this nonsense.

Excuse me, what?

You start politicizing Spotify, a music service we pay for as users, and those who oppose that are asked to "enter an 'idea'"?

I'll give Spotify till end of April to get this rolled back. Otherwise I will cancel my subscription.

i also don't like it, this is another perversion of a once beautiful language.

i work in the IT and have no problem when i can fix it with setting the language to english, since most tech docs are english, but i dont want to. once in a while i want to use my native language.

i envy the japanese, they dont have to bother with brainless ideas to degrade their language with useless ideas.

Same for me. When listening to music, I don't want to be educated by ideologists.

There is another thread with the same topic which has already got 64 like. Merge them.

This virtue signaling towards far left ideology has to end for good.
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

We really appreciate all your feedback on this so far.

Going forward, we'd like to ask you to leave any feedback you have about this in this related idea. You can also add your vote to it to show your support for the idea by clicking on the +VOTE button.

Take care!

Suggested posts